DiS Users' September 2017 Album Of The Month

Think there are probably 6 or 7 albums from this month that will make my 2017 top ten but got to go with:

1 The National
2 Phoebe Bridgers
3 Hiss Golden Messenger

Protomartyr, Mogwai, The Horrors and LCD Soundsytem all honourable mentions

Phoebe Bridgers’ album is a brilliant grower. Thought it was good on first listen but gets better and better.

just heard the Ninos Du Brasil record yesterday, cba changing my list again but it’s bloody good

Have I missed this? Anyways:

1. Mount Kimbie
  2. Protomartyr
  3. LCD Soundsystem (just in there cause of the live show)

Also really enjoying The National, Four Tet and The Horrors (not sure if anyone else has mentioned this, but it has been a strong month).

It maybe should have been my number 1 to be fair however I know from experience the national is a record I will re-visit a lot. The moment when Oberst starts singing on Bridgers track would you rather was proper hairs on the back of the neck moment for me. Really isn’t a weak track on it either. Motion sickness, Scott street and funeral are other favourites at the moment

She’s playing an afternoon set at Rough Trade in two weeks and also at Mirrors Festival at the end of the month. I’ll be able to catch her live twice. Doesn’t look like she has an “official” London gig of her own currently.

I’ve thought about this way too much, screw it. There are a few more albums I’d like to give more of a chance to but I know they won’t crack the top 3, which are either my top 3 or 3 of the top 4 of the year. What a month.

1. Protomartyr
  2. The National
  3. Mogwai
  4. Metz

1. TWIABP
  2. GY!BE

Normally and In a vacuum, I’d probably have given #1 to another fantastic album by The National, but since we apparently live in hell now it’s going to Protomartyr. Defining album of the year for me, and lyrically Joe Casey is on a whole other level from everyone else right now. If you haven’t heard this album yet I highly, highly recommend giving it a shot.

The Mogwai album is fantastic and was the surprise of the year for me. It might be my favorite thing I’ve heard from them as a whole. “Old Poisons” is a monster of a song.

It really bothers me that I didn’t end up giving points to METZ - any other month this year that album would have been #1 or #2.

I’m not fully there with the TWIABP album yet but it has enough good moments and potential to keep me coming back a lot. The GY!BE is kind of a disappointment but perfectly fine, but I don’t see myself wanting to come back to it a lot.

1. Ariel Pink - Dedicated to Bobby Jameson
  2. Four Tet - New Energy
  3. The National - Sleep Well Beast

Loved also: American Dream (probably joint third favourite but I’ve listened to SWB more), Hitchhiker, Jersey Devil, Music for the Age of Miracles, Love What Survives & Every Country’s Sun.

Disappointed by Alex Cameron’s Forced Witness and need to check out the Protomartyr, Shilpa Ray and Metz records.

Brilliant, sure she’ll be ace. Just seen she plays Glasgow on the 19th which I might try for

I can add that Protomartyr album to the list of great albums that this thread has introduced me to over the months. Thanks everyone that voted for it.

If I hadn’t already made a change to my original list I’d be very tempted to sneak it into third spot. CBA though. Great album

Looks like it’ll do fine without my endorsement anyway

I WANT TO DO A QUICK REVISION!!!

Susanne Sundfør - Music For People In Trouble
Protomartyr - Relatives In Descent
The National - Sleep Well Beast

This might be the best month in music in yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaars

I’ll do the tally before midday tomorrow if anyone wants to change or submit their votes.

Bloody hell. It looks like a strong month with all the replies. I’ve a fair number of number crunching to do. I’ve never been good at Numberwang either.

Ariel Pink👐

This is tough. Here we go:

The Best (order changes daily; love 'em all)

1. Phoebe Bridgers – Strangers in the Alps
  2. Florist – If Blue Could Be Happiness
  3. Mary Epworth – Elytral
  4. Angelo de Augustine – Swim Inside the Moon
  5. Lomelda – Thx
  6. Moses Sumney – Aromanticism

The Next Best (in any other month, winners; order indeterminate)

The Clientele – Music for the Age of Miracles
L.A. Witch – L.A. Witch
Tricky – Ununiform
Neil Young - Hitchhiker
Nick Nicely – Sleep Safari
Mini Dresses – Mini Dresses
Micah P. Hinson – The Holy Stranger
Valparaiso – Broken Homeland
Hope Sandoval & the Warm Inventions – Son of a Lady

The Heavily Rotated Also Rans (some may stick; some may drop by year end)

LCD Soundsystem – American Dream
Linda Perhacs – I’m A Harmony
Luna – A Sentimental Education
Ibeyi – Ash
David Crosby – Sky Trails
Marry Waterson – Death Had Quicker Wings Than Love

Sorry! Sound the last-minute-change klaxon.

1. Helpless - Debt
  2. Mogwai - Every Country’s Sun
  3. Idylls - The Barn

Couldn’t leave Death From Above in there and have no place for the astounding Idylls album. It was just plain wrong.

It’s highly addictive, isn’t it? Just want to replay it instantly as soon as Revenge of The Iceman closes out.

THE RESULTS:

1. LCD Soundsystem - American Dream 38 points

2. The National - Sleep Well Beast 34 points

3. Protomartyr - Relatives In Descent 25 points

4. Mogwai - Every Country’s Sun 21 points

Joint 5th. Phoebe Bridgers - Stranger In The Alps
Susanne Sundfør - Music For People In Trouble both on 13 points

1. Alvvays- Antisocialites 12 points

Joints 8th. Mount Kimbie - Love What Survives
The Horrors - V both on 10 points

1. Ariel Pink - Dedicated to Bobby Jameson 8 points

LCD Soundsystem released the best album in September.

Oh it’s true. It’s DAMN true.