DiS Users' September 2018 Album Of The Month

Vote for your favourite album and also your second and third choices. Make your selections clear please as it makes tallying up the scores easier. If you list a whole bunch of albums without making your selections clear I’ll take the first three mentioned as 1st, 2nd and 3rd places. No joint positions please. Sorry to be a pedant.

Your album of the month will get three points, 2nd placed album two points and 3rd placed album one point. If you name only one album I’ll give that three points. If you name two albums I’ll score them with three and two points accordingly.

My choices (currently) :
1. Haiku Salut - There Is No Elsewhere
2. Suede - The Blue Hours
3. Dilly Dally - Heaven

1. Metric - Art Of Doubt
  2. Gazelle Twin

Brilliant Haiku Salut album. I do most of my music listening whilst travelling and it soothed a lot of commutes to and from work after a shit day. Really looking forward to their lamp show next week. Occupy is a great track; do check them out if you haven’t heard their stuff.

A very good album from Suede. Saw them live a lot last week (four times in four days) and the album is a worthy follow up to NIght Thoughts. I gave it a 7/10 before but I’ll bump the score to a 8.1 Pitchfork score after further listens.

Please forgive any shameless bumps of this thread during the week. I’ll keep this thread open until Sunday 7th September and so you’ll have over a week to listen to todays’s releases before choosing.

Just currently listening to the new Joy Formidable whilst I type this. Sounds ok. It’ll be their year finally. I’ve downloaded the new Amber Arcades too for tomorrow morning’s commute to work. I’ll see if they make any changes in my top three. I look forward to your recommendations too.

Don’t see anything from today coming close, maybe Pigs x 7

1. Low - Double Negative
  2. Haiku Salut - There is No Elsewhere
  3. Emma Ruth Rundle - On Dark Horses

Top 2 were always going to be set like that. Amazing that Low can make an album that polarising 25yrs on, when most bands that age would stick to their formula. Absolutely love it.

Have loved Haiku Salut since day 1, and it’s lovely watching their progression. This album is lovely and looking forward to more time with this.

Chose Emma Ruth Rundle, but in all fairness that spot could have gone to Sauna Youth, Ryan Von Gonten, Beak>, The Field or Mountain Men. Strong month looking back.

1 Hooveriii - Hooveriii
2 Teleman - Family of Aliens
3 Sauna Youth - Deaths

The Field - Infinite Moment
Noname - Room 25
Hater - Siesta

1. The Field - Infinite Moment

1. Joey Purp - Quarterthing

1. Vennart - …Plastic Sea
  2. Thou - Magus (came out on the 31st August so I suppose it doesn’t count)
  3. I really need to check out some of the recommendations posted here rather than just spending the month listening to Vennart and REMs back catalogue…

Vennart is fantastic. Still need to listen to a bunch of other albums but Vennart will definitely be my number 1. Looking forward to the gig in November at the dome.

GREAT month

1. Low - Double Negative

2. The Goon Sax - We’re Not Talking

3. Noname - Room 25

1. Beak >>>
  2. Christine and the Queens - Chris

All five are really fantastic. Haven’t listened to the Tim Hecker album yet but I would be amazed if that’s not really good too.

1. Low - Double Negative
  2. The Field - Infinite Moment
  3. Villagers - The Art Of Pretending To Swim

Could have put the very impressive new Tim Hecker in there, but have only had a couple of listens so far.

1. Noname - Room 25
  2. Mountain Man - Magic Ship
  3. Lonnie Holley - MITH

1. Low - Double Negative
  2. Spiritualized - And Nothing Hurt
  3. Beak> - >>>

1. Noname - Room 25

1. Vennart
  2. Joy Formidable
  3. Metric
  4. Suede

Heard a few others but those 4 are the ones to hear, Joy Formidable one I’ve only heard 3 or 4 times so it might end up passing the Vennart album. Metric’s album would’ve been fantastic if it was a bit shorter and more rock instrumentation than pop but it’s a return to being good either way. Suede’s album has some fantastic guitar-work on it, not enough hooks though.

1. Night Shop - In The Break
  2. The Goon Sax - We’re Not Talking
  3. Amber Arcades - European Heartbreak

Cash Savage & The Last Drinks - Good Citizens
The Chills - Snowbound

1. Low - Double Negative
  2. The Field - Infinite Moment
  3. Tim Hecker - Konoyo

1. Gazelle Twin - Pastoral
  2. Beak > - >>>
  3. Orbital - Monsters Exist

Is no one else loving the Gazelle Twin album? I think it’s incredible. As does DiS apparently, as they gave it a rare 10/10:

(Usually The Field album would be a shoo-in for my top 3, but I felt like I couldn’t leave out Beak or Orbital, and Infinite Moment seems to be getting plenty of other votes in this thread already…)

1. Villagers
  2. Richard Reed Parry
  3. Low

way too many to chose from this month, but…

1. SPIRITUALIZED
  2. TIM HECKER
  3. LOW

Easily the best month of the year to my ears, full of so many great releases that I’m going to make a starting eleven from them:

1. Tim Hecker - Konoyo
  2. Low - Double Negative
  3. Sarah Davachi - Gave In Rest
  4. Noname - Room 25
  5. The Field - Infinite Moment
  6. Yves Tumor - Safe In The Hands of Love
  7. Tashi Wada with Yoshi Wada and Friends - FRKWYS Vol. 14 - Nue
  8. Oliver Coates - Shelley’s on Zenn-La
  9. Rafael Anton Irisarri - El Ferrocarril Desvaneciente
  10. Less Bells - Solifuge
  11. Apex Twin - Collapse EP

Almost all these records would walk into my top 3s from this years previous months, and this is excluding Jlin, The Caretaker pt.5, Daughters of Time and the excellent Mount Eerie live album.

What a month.