DiS Users' September 2021 Album Of The Month - THE RESULTS

VOTE FOR YOUR TOP FIVE ALBUMS!!

Vote for your favourite five albums. Make your selections clear please as it makes tallying up the scores easier. If you list a whole bunch of albums without making your selections clear I’ll take the first five mentioned as 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th. No joint positions please. Sorry to be a pedant.

Your album of the month will get five points, 2nd placed album four points, 3rd placed album three points, 4th placed album two points and 5th one point. If you name only one album I’ll give that five points. If you name two albums I’ll score them with five and four points etc. You get the message.

A very strong month for me. Baby Queen and Amyl and The Sniffers are my joint top but will give the top place to Baby Queen as her album seems to have been reviewed less and has had less coverage than Amyl’s.

My choices:

1. Baby Queen - The Yearbook

2. Amyl and The Sniffers - Comfort To Me

3. Roxanne De Bastion - You & Me, We Are The
Same

4. Adia Victoria - A Southern Gothic

5. Julia Bardo - Bauhaus, L’Appartamento

The Baby Queen album is brilliant. On the surface it’s mostly bubblegum pop with big bangers but hidden underneath the happy tunes there’s some dark self confessional songwriting with the lyrics fairly raw.

Sounds similar to the style of Taylor Swift circa her 1989 album and fans of hers and Charli XCX would probably like this one. I liked her EP last year but didn’t realise that she could make such as jump and make a debut album this good. It could be considered part art rock to a certain extent and far smarter than you’d think if you were just skim listening. Definitely one to check out if you haven’t heard of her before.

I heard Amyl and The Sniffers a couple of years ago and I kind of dismissed them as loud, shouty and gobby despite usually liking stuff like that. I was late to the party with the new album and gave it a listen a week after its release and have had it on heavy rotation together with Baby Queen. What I disliked with their first album seem to be their strengths with their second.
“Security, will you let me in your pub? I’m not looking for trouble, I’m looking for love…I’m not that drunk.” is probably the highlight in the album and is one of the best rock albums this year.

Roxanne De Bastion’s album reminds me of early songs by The Anchoress and some Black Box Recorder. Delicate pop for the most part and some more upbeat and synth pop too. Thought it was average on first listen but very glad I came back to it and it’s a very strong album with and on other months may have been my top pick if it wasn’t for brilliant albums by the two artists above.

Love Adia Victoria albums and this one’s no exception. Always liked her voice and style. Live she’s amazing and hope she’ll be able to tour this album.

The Julia Bardo album completes my top five and a very strong month for me for album releases. Indie folk in a style that you’ve all heard before but it’s done very well.

I’ll be interested to see what’s out tomorrow and if anything will change my current top five.

Always a lot of great recommendations from you guys about albums that I’ve missed or overlooked.

Please forgive any shameless bumps of this thread during the week. I’ll keep this thread open until Sunday 3th October so you’ll have over a week to listen to tomorrow’s releases before choosing.

Vote now!! (Or later in the week) but make your choices clear please.

3 Likes

Two highlight tracks of the month for me.

2 Likes

I heard a podcast (The Vinyl Guide) featuring an endearing interview with Amyl & The Sniffers. I had never heard them until this linked video (thanks). Will seek out the vinyl at the weekend when I’m off work and buy the 2nd album. Good stuff.

1 Like

I’m baffled you’ve already put together your list when you haven’t even heard the new Ringo Starr album that comes out tomorrow.

7 Likes

Peace and Love. Peace and Love :v:t4:

2 Likes
  1. Petey — Lean Into Life
  2. Baby Queen — The Yearbook
  3. Beach Riot — Sub Atomic Party Cool

Not sure yet if I want to add Sleigh Bells — Texis to that list.

1 Like
  1. I’ve been trying to tell you by Saint Etienne
  2. Hey What by Low
  3. People and industry by Warrington-runcorn new town development plan
  4. Submission and Slavery by Lamp of Murmuur
    5 A knife in your hand by Sloks
2 Likes
  1. Low - Hey What
  2. Lamp of Murmuur - Submission and Slavery
  3. Trna - Istok
  4. Warrington-Runcorn New Town Development Plan - People & Industry
  1. Low - Hey What
  2. Little Simz - Sometimes I Might be Introvert
  3. Art School Girlfriend- Is It Light Where You Are
  4. Nala Sinephro - Space 1.8
1 Like

Getting Preston school of industry vibes from this band name.

3 Likes

Fell off this month, got SO much for the last two weeks still to get through. Doing this now in case I don’t have the time in the end

1. Little Simz
  2. Petey
  3. Damu the Fudgemunk
  4. Motorists
  5. Baby Keem
2 Likes
  1. Sarah Davachi - Antiphonals

2. Astrid Sonne - Outside of Your Lifetime

3. Japanese Breakfast - Sable OST

4. Saint Etienne - I’ve been trying to tell you

5. V/A - Habibi Funk - An Eclectic Selection Of Music From The Arab World, Part 2

2 Likes

Very quiet month for me but there was only ever going to be one winner.

1. Low - Hey What

Way further down:
2. Employed To Serve - Conquering
3. Amyl And The Sniffers - Comfort To Me

Love this. The Arabic version of Staying Alive is particularly superb.

3 Likes
  1. Little Simz - Sometimes I Might Be Introvert
  2. Low - Hey What
  3. Kinkajous - Being Waves
  4. Saint Etienne - I’ve been trying to tell you
  5. Sufjan Stevens and Angelo de Augustine - A Beginner’s Mind
1 Like
  1. Low - Hey What
  2. Amyl & The Sniffers - Comfort to Me
  3. Nala Sinephro - Space 1.8
1 Like

I really liked seven albums this month, so apologies to Tim Hecker and Little Simz for just missing out on the top five…

1. Nala Sinephro - Space 1.8
  2. Sarah Davachi - Antiphonals
  3. Low - Hey What
  4. Sufjan Stevens and Angelo de Augustine - A Beginner’s Mind
  5. Veins Full Of Static - Contours
  6. Little Simz - Sometimes I Might Be Introvert
  7. Tim Hecker - The North Water
2 Likes

Well, this has to be one of the easiest ones of these I’ve ever done

1. Low - HEY WHAT
  2. Felice Brothers - From Dreams to Dust
  3. Saint Etienne - I’ve Been Trying to Tell You

The gaps are deliberate. Whilst I like the Felice Brothers and Saint Etienne they don’t feel like ‘top 3 albums’. I’ve not connected with much this month and the Low is so far ahead of everything else.

1. Odd Beholder - Sunny Bay
  2. Low - HEY WHAT
  3. Film School - We Weren’t Here
  4. DJ Seinfeld - Mirrors
  5. Central Heat Exchange - S/T

Thought it was a great month. 1 and 2 were obvious for me, but there are about 10 other records that could have made the final 3 slots.

2 Likes
  1. Little Simz - Sometimes I Might Be Introvert
  2. Onipa - Tapes of Utopia
  3. Adeline - Adi Oasis
  4. Nala Sinephro - Space 1.8
  5. Kondi Band - We Famous

Groovy darn month. Simz steals the show and most likely the year

2 Likes