Discogs

cough money laundering cough

5 Likes

"Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe used to come into the record store I worked at. They never bought any music but would always come over and stroke my head! They pet shop boys”

my word

1 Like

Is this person the weapon?

not very smart either, surely you’d spread the money around across multiple records rather than smashing it on one and getting all that attention.

Oh I wouldn’t possibly know
shifty eyes

2 Likes

Just took a look at musicmagpie. I didn’t realise they sold direct, always thought they just shoved the stuff through amazon and other channels. 4 cds for £8 inc. delivery for most albums. No grading but at that price I guess it’s like scooping a big pile of cds from a charity shop anyway.

I started buying vinyl in the early 90s when you could pick up all the classics for a few quid as everyone cleared it out for cds but don’t think it was ever like the current cd purge.

yeh they sell new stuff too

some good bargains to be had on used cd and they (used to?) have free postage on everything

1 Like

Ordered a record from Spain for my GF before Christmas, tracking said it was undeliverable as we’d changed address, which was a load of bollocks tbh. Not the seller’s fault so I left feedback to that effect.

Just put in an order for the same record from a seller in Italy so I hope that gets here within the next 5/25 business days.

This is the record in question.

One thing about the new system on Discogs is that it makes it easier to buy multiple items from the same seller for no extra postage.

As a result, having found a copy of the The Poet II by Bobby Womack I ended up also buying Bookmarks by Simon and Garfunkel, Close to the Edge by Yes and the original 7” of Trees and Flowers by Strawberry Switchblade all for £22 including postage. An enjoyably random bunch of records that I might happily walk out of a secondhand record shop with. At those prices you can take a chance on something you might well hate (Yes, in this case).

2 Likes

Oh yeah - painful trying to work out which of the dozens of variations all with the same catalogue number you have.

1 Like

Had some not great Discogs experiences recently. Last two I’ve bought have both been way over graded and then I’ve had a couple of crappy buyers, one of whom, contacted me 6 weeks after delivery to say the outersleeve had a split.

Guess it’s just bad luck.

I seem to be physically incapable of reading the matrix etching things.

Yeah @zanimos it’s honestly like trying to see one of the two images in one of those flip holograms you used to get on cereal boxes.

Annoyingly I have a couple of things I want to buy on discogs but the prices seem too good to be true and it rests on those runout matrix numbers and some people get really funny when you ask them to check; like, you signed up for the ultimate vinyl nerd website so don’t get aggro at me for asking you a nerdy question

1 Like

This is a really good point. My parents re-bought all the albums they actually listened to on CD but for whatever reason never bothered getting rid of their records. Absolute goldmine for me when I got into it, esp as my dad was an OG antistatic nerd. The condition of most of his 1960s Beatles albums is ridiculously good.

I do wonder if my 1-year-old niece will eventually go through a physical media stage and be furious that my brother and I tossed out all of our CDs.

I need to take a proper look through my dad’s records at some point. He looks after stuff really well so it will all be in great condition but unfortunately he’s a boomer not into boomer music so I suspect it’s mostly charity shop classical and jazz.

I’ve logged all my Lps and CDs into it. And I show my Mum what my collection is “worth” as opposed to having proper savings.

11 Likes

Ah that’s a real shame. I’ve got some classic Textbook Boomer stuff from my parents’ collection - Fleetwood Mac, The Eagles, Paul Simon, Thriller etc - wild variety of pressing quality with stuff that popular of course.

1 Like

I see that they have added the ability to add users as friends:

Which seem like a good idea but would anybody want to share their collection with people? I don’t mind saying a select few records I have but, I don’t like the idea of scrolling through everything I have, Marshmallow scented Ghostbusters soundtrack included.

Hmm, you’ve been able to befriend people on there for ages I think. Also if you upload your collection I just thought any one who clicked on your username (like, via the marketplace) could see it.

I had a look last night and I think it is a feature that has been added to the app to simplify adding friends it’s just the 1st time I have seen them make a thing of it.

Also found in the privacy setting you can choose to hide both your wantlist and collection if you wanted. Turned the collection one on straight away.

1 Like