DiSsers Share and Rate their albums of 2020 (an open-ended polling thread)

Just like every year I’ve enjoyed tons of amazing albums this year that were suggested by the Music Board community, something I’ve been especially grateful for during lockdowns and furlough. I would love some more to get me through the winter if people have them. As always the weekly release threads and monthly voting threads are goldmines for recommendations, but I thought we could also use this thread to look back over 2020* so that people can discover and fall in love with albums they might have missed or dismissed at the time of release.

So show us your favourite albums of the year 2020 (so far) and tell us why you love them. Descriptions of genre/style are always welcome, as are video/spotify/apple music links to the whole album or good entry point tracks.

(And whilst we’re doing it why don’t we have polls for a score out of 10 so that we can get an idea of which ones DiS as a collective digs (but not take any scores too personally))

*Yes, it’s November. But I’m hoping that this way we can enjoy as many albums from the past 10 months as people want to post without having to rush through them all in December. And we can keep adding more great stuff released between now and the end of the year

6 Likes

I’ll get the ball rolling with one that lots may have heard already but I reckon at least some could have slept on.

Haim - Women in Music Pt.

listening links

https://music.apple.com/gb/album/women-in-music-pt-iii/1500020581?ls
https://open.spotify.com/album/6NtEjhPWfZcvJQuvjGX4bk&ved=2ahUKEwjU84WNg_jsAhVsREEAHT5CAZYQjjgwBnoECAEQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1vDKajQ0s_pryVGmz-Tthd

One of the biggest surprises of the year for a fair few DiSsers (myself included), this is a guitar-pop / soft-rock masterpiece and a major step up from previous Haim albums. Much of the record hits a perfect sweet spot somewhere between Rumours -era Fleetwood Mac and Vampire Weekend’s Modern Vampires of the City , but also mixes it with lots of unexpected influences from reggae (Los Angeles), dance (I Know Alone), and 90s pop (3am). If you havent listened yet or written Haim off as lightweight, give this a go - it’s record so warm and catchy that it should help you get through the coldest of winter days.

8 Likes

Fuck, forgot the poll in the first fucking post! :joy:

Haim - Women in Music Pt. III

0 voters

Chloe x Halle - Ungodly Hour

0 voters

Two highly over-achieving sisters who were:

• appearing in films at 6/8
  • Youtube stars (and on the Ellen show) by 11/13
  • opening for Beyonce four years ago aged only 16/18
  • Grammy nominated two years ago at 18/20

and and have now dropped one of the R&B albums of the year. The harmonies, melodies, beats and production are all spot on.

Tipsy is probably my song of the year; it’s so woozy sounding that it’s onomatopoeic, and the lush but off-kilter harmonies coupled with the homicidal threats of the lyrics make something quite unique. The album itself is currently 17th on my roughly ordered spreadsheet for my AoTY, but can see it rising.

2 Likes

Great choice. Loved this album and rinsed it over the summer. Need to listen to it a few more times to remind myself of it before doing my end of year list.

Reckon a lot of DiSser would dig this album.

1 Like

Somehow haven’t heard of these, but I can already tell 2 mins into Tipsy that this is extremely my shit. Thanks!

(Didn’t get on with the Haim soz)

3 Likes

Dogleg - Melee

loud, fast, cathartic racket in that japandroids-y sweet spot. Not big or clever but very fun imo

0 voters

4 Likes

Probably my AOTY I reckon. Took a few listens to get to grips with, but once it clicked it’s been rinsed pretty solidly all year. Some pretty unexpected 90s influences and the whole thing kinda reminds of like a Billy Joel Innocent Man genre exercise (a good thing), but somehow it all hangs together really well. Plus The Steps is just the best Haim doing Haim song.

1 Like

yeah this is one of my favs, really good. reminds me of that we are king album from a few years ago but a bit poppier

1 Like

Sevdaliza - Shabrang
Moody electronic R&B from an Iranian-Dutch person, gets compared to FKA Twigs quite a bit. Liked her first record a lot but this is much more varied and even more of a grower, still loving it more with every listen

0 voters

3 Likes

Special Interest - The Passion Of

29 minutes of industrial/punk, it’s not an easy listen but I think its great. Pitchfork gave it an 8.4 but I’ve not seen too much talk about it on here, like a cross between Savages and Surgeon

Special Interest - The Passion Of

0 voters

3 Likes

never fully got into the album but Street Pulse Beat is one of my songs of the year

I’d like to propose Clint Mansell’s cover of the whole of Lou Reed’s Berlin. Probably not my album of the year but certainly one I think more people should hear and would enjoy. He takes a radical approach to the material, covering every song in a different style with echoes of different favourite artists in every one. Hard to give a flavour of it from one or two tracks, but here we go:

0 voters

4 Likes

Looks like I’ve fucked my first ever poll. Oops.

1 Like

Holy Fuck - Deleter

Feels like a lot of people forgot about this band about a decade ago (or mix them up with Fuck Buttons/Fucked Up - and their 6 year break from 2010 to 2016 won’t have helped) but they’re still great and this is one of the best albums they’ve done imo.

Electronic stuff played as a live band - bass, drums, two guys with a table full of keyboards, toys and pedals doing muffled vocals.

Guest appearances on this album by yer man from Hot Chip, yer man from Liars and yer man from Pond.

Dancey and full of hooks and bangers.

0 voters

6 Likes

Blue Note Re:imagined

Comp of UK jazzers doing Blue Note classics. Pretty great if you like jazz and imagining you’re in an early 2000s Ninja Tunes dreamscape. It’s not really treading any new ground, but it’s a pretty chill listen. Largely skronk free, so don’t be put off if you fear the jazz.

0 voters

Wasn’t blown away by this beyond just the great line-up of performers, gave it a few spins but no tracks stood out as I recall - what are your favourites from it?

I preferred Adult Swim’s New Jazz Century, which was a broader geographic spread of equally good modern jazzos. Only streaming from a temperamental URL though, I think.

I guess I would say I’m enjoying it more as a whole rather than it having any proper standout tracks. That said, I like that Ezra Collective track a lot, and the Blue Lab Beats one. The Poppy Adjudha version of Watermelon Man is pretty interesting. But yeah, it’s more a general vibe thing, and a definite throwback to that Ninja Tune breakbeat kinda sound, which is a bit of a nostalgia hit for me.

1 Like

Caspian - On Circles

Likely my AOTY. Brutally sad, tense post-rock, the kind of music that goes right for your brain chemistry and works its way into your bones. I’d imagine it would be a great album for a middle of the night winter drive.

The ending sequence is incredible, but I’ll just post Ishmael from it so as not to spoil the whole thing and since it’s the song of the year:

A great early album one with vocals:

0 voters

The Flaming Lips - American Head

37 years in The Flaming Lips release another classic. It’s much more in line with Yoshimi than the last few albums, but goes for a much more directly personal / nostalgic approach with Wayne looking back at his life. It’s magical and sad and might be the best album of the year.

0 voters

4 Likes