DiSsers Share and Rate their albums of 2020 (an open-ended polling thread)

This is top of my provisional list, though haven’t played it through in the last three or four months so keen to revisit it soon to see if it still holds up.

Only negative for me is I think it peaks so much at the opener to the extent that I sometimes only listened to that; I’d have appreciated the two tracks from the EP being in the album more as they were the next best tracks he did this year for me.

Perfume Genius - Set My Heart on Fire Immediately

The fifth album from Mike Hadreas/Perfume Genius pivots from the baroque wide-screen rock of No Shape into grungier/shoe-gazy (although still baroque) territory. Each track has its own intricacies and narrative whilst working together as part of a wider piece. He toured a dance piece before this and you can see that informing tracks like On the Floor, and his dancing looks great in the live footage they have shared. Hopefully he’ll be able to tour it next year! It’s between this and Haim for my AOTY currently.

0 voters

1 Like

Up there for me.
Cenizas might just edge it out though. What a record that is.
Still living with Telas.

Want to like this more than I do. Just hasn’t clicked with me at all.

Really want a Nico Jaar HGATR

3 Likes

He’s a strong candidate for it if I win.

1 Like

Amazing. I’ll go in and double our chances.

1 Like

A slightly subdued second half makes it a very good album rather than a true AOTY contender for me, but it’s still another very good Perfume Genius album, which automatically makes the world a much better place. And that first half - woof!

1 Like

And another!

Charli XCX - how i’m feeling now

My fav album so far from Charli, and will probably go down as the most successful “lockdown album.” As always the synth work and beats are nuts, and the lyrics are so affecting, crystallizing a sort of claustrophobic anxiety that everyone faced earlier this year. In a class of its own tbh.

0 voters

1 Like

Yeah, nice album. I really don’t like that one with Lydia Lunch though but it seems to be a favourite with everyone else

It’s one of those albums where taken alone no single song is fully representative of the bigger picture, but together they create something extremely cohesive that they all clearly belong to. While I’m only really familiar with one of their albums (Shields), maybe a starting point in attempting to describe it would be a much more aggressive Grizzly Bear with a sort of anxious punk energy running through it? But that completely undersells the dreamlike orchestral sequences and ignores the surprise swerve into propulsive shoegaze. Everything is a bit off-kilter and unconventional in that Big Thief type way too with songs (and the album in general) unfolding in unexpected directions very naturally.

You can tell that a lot of work and care was put into it. More than any other album this year, every time I’ve listened I’ve found a new detail that I love and a different song stands out.

0 voters

2 Likes

I think I’m split halfway between you and @FKA_Adam_Jeffson on it. It’s clicked for me and one of my favorites of the year, but Relatives is on a whole other level. My biggest criticism of it is that they sort of pull an Iceage and kill the momentum of a couple songs with slow or grinding outros (June 21 and Modern Business Hymns) when it feels like the album should be exploding instead.

2 Likes

Deftones - Ohms

It’s probably the most accessible and flawless Deftones album since White Pony, though it doesn’t quite reach the extreme heights of Saturday Night Wrist or Self-Titled. It starts off well but once you get to track 4 it jumps a level and never lets up.

0 voters

2 Likes

Horse Lords - The Common Task

Wonderful Steve Reich-ian polyrhythmic instrumental music, with microtonally tuned guitars that somehow sound beautifully melodic despite sounding out of tune. Closest reference points might be Battles or Dawn Of Midi but it’s way less precise than either of those bands and all the more exciting for it. There are brilliant moments when their music almost sounds like they’ve completely lost their way and then it just springs back to life. This is my favourite track:

0 voters

1 Like

Have gone with a 6 based purely on the first listen, but have saved it to give it a few more goes and will likely revisit my score before the end of the year. Some of it seems just too blunt for my tastes but there are definitely moments and songs which caught my attention and flashed massive potential. Thanks for suggesting it!

1 Like

Really enjoying this!

1 Like

This is really good! Have owned the original for years but never truly “got” it, but think I’m going to listen to this version a lot and go back to the original too. What a find.

Would genuinely love to know if the person who gave it a 1 did so because they’re a huge fan of the original and thinks this ruins it, hates the original and this version, or has never heard the original and just thinks this sucks :smiley:

2 Likes

This thread is fucking great well done

7 Likes

I loved the original when I was a moody teenager and probably would have hated this version if I’d heard it then.

Over the years I’ve found the unremitting gloom and borderline misogyny of the original harder to take though, and only listened to the cover out of curiosity. I was completely bowled over by it and it definitely made me hear the songs (which I probably heard for the the first time about thirty years ago) in a completely new light.

1 Like

Max De Wardener (performed by Kit Downes) - Music for Detuned Pianos

0 voters

This is a definite top 10 album of the year for me. Really affecting pieces which sound like dreamed fragments of winter ballets from another space and time. I think this will really come into its own soundtracking winter walks but it’s never really been out of rotation for me since it was released in March.

2 Likes