DiSsers Share and Rate their albums of 2020 (an open-ended polling thread)

Can we all acknowledge how fucking great the Luke Vibert trilogy releases are!

Amen Andrews, Modern Rave, Rave Hop :ok_hand:

1 Like

Alright, no one else has done it so I’m gonna do it…

Fiona Apple - Fetch The Bolt Cutters

Although I don’t want to turn this into a discussion about a review feel like this has been nobbled by getting a 10.0 and everyone expecting it to be perfect. It isn’t. But it’s a brilliant, unique, uncompromising record that has stayed with me all year (and I wouldn’t count myself as a fan of hers before this).

Most of all I love how human it feels - noisey, raw, imperfect, unfiltered but in parts very beautiful - as if it’s just all tumbling out of her onto tape.

And this is such a great story:

Top 3 or 4 of the year for me. Might yet be No. 1. Can’t get enough of it.

0 voters

3 Likes

Really good album. Not sure how much I’ll go back to it, but I loved it when it came out.

1 Like

Lanterns on the Lake - Spook the Herd

Been a fan of these guys for a while but think this is their best yet and was delighted that they got a Mercury nomination for it. Definitely in my top 3 for the year.

For those not familiar, they’re female led indie with a slightly haunting and occasionally semi-orchestral/post-rock leaning vibe (read someone describe them once as The National meets Cocteau Twins in terms of style)

0 voters

Really disappointed by this album. After how much I loved the last album, this just left me cold. :disappointed:

Saint Saviour - Tomorrow Again (Singer-Songwriter, folk, alt-pop)

Listening Links

https://music.apple.com/gb/album/tomorrow-again/1497720289?ls

https://open.spotify.com/album/5TVlqKjhOfn0mfjDLreXvG&ved=2ahUKEwi49ZCa8pXtAhVho3EKHUTaDgUQjjgwAHoECCQQAg&usg=AOvVaw0RtFT1FRZy9fR___MfjXff

One of quite a few albums I have to thank @BMS1’s Album of the Month threads for introducing me to, I’m really enjoying this one. It’s a pleasingly subdued affair - fingerpicked guitars and soft keys carry most songs thanks to the strength of the melodies they’re playing and the comforting vocals. At certain points it morphs into chart-friendly pop (For My Love) or alt-rock (Breton Stripe), but always in a way that feels like a welcome, natural progression. If you haven’t already listened to it I’d say it’s a perfect record for a winter’s morning like this morning.

0 voters

1 Like

Really enjoyed my first listen of this - thank you for recommending!

1 Like

really should like this, but I can’t stand the vocals

There’s quite a bit I like here but still cant quite get over the fact that Slack Sley & Temple is the track with the least going on and is 17 minutes long. Started to wonder if I was being trolled after about 7-8 minutes and saw how much of it there was left to go.

2014805951-that_crazy_nicholas_cage_06

I took one look at the track lengths and walked away.

Agree with a lot of this. This version is a nice listen because even at their most basic levels the songs themselves are well written and her voice is captivating. But at the same time it absolutely reinforces my belief that the artistic decisions she took on All Mirrors were 100% correct. The versions that appeared on the studio album took these well-written songs to an entirely different level sonically and made it her best album.

1 Like

Phoebe Bridgers - Punisher (folk, alt-rock)

Listening Links

https://open.spotify.com/album/2xECuqnvvmVktV7UO8Dd3s&ved=2ahUKEwjk45qOuJvtAhWuQRUIHcX0Dq4QjjgwAHoECAMQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3sOUCx3A1igOTLMatm3XaZ

https://music.apple.com/gb/album/punisher/1504699857?ls

One I thought we might have seen already. DiS favourite Big Bad Bridgers returns with an album that effortlessly combines the melancholy alt-folk of debut Stranger in the Alps with expansive arena-fillers that Sufjan Steven’s would be proud of. Few albums this year were as hotly-anticipated on these boards as this one. I think it surpassed the hype, how about you?

0 voters

1 Like

Had a lot to live up to and definitely delivered. Really great. Probable top 10 of the year material for me

2 Likes

Tried this maybe 4 times, just cannot see what so many others do in her work, found it really tedious music and I don’t like how she “sings” on it. I’m steering clear of her until BoyGenius release as I loved that EP.

1 Like

I see you putting sings in quotation marks there :wink:

Sorry to hear you didnt enjoy it. I think it’s a big step up from her very promising but patchy debut and, like @Tuna, I wouldn’t be surprised if it ended up in my top 10 for the year.

Still, plenty more fish in this musical sea, eh?

Another one I didnt really gel with upon release but enjoyed a lot more this afternoon. Thanks for recommending!

1 Like

To be clear it’s not that I think she cannot sing, I just really don’t get on with the breathy whispering which she tends to do a lot in place of singing. There are indeed plenty more to listen to, this one just disappoints me as I have liked that joint EP and see how much this album has meant to others here.

1 Like

Yeah, can completely sympathise on the second point - has happened to me so many times and I think it’s even worse when nobody else seems to share that disappointment. A lot of people could point out my numerous complaints about Big Thief’s BYOB on these boards last year being a similar situation. Can be very frustrating seeing something you think is bang average being almost unanimously revered.

On another note watching the average score swing between about 6 and 8 every time someone else votes on this one has been wild.

1 Like

Most disappointing record of the year by a mile. I loved SITA, and I tried and tried for this one to click with me, but it still hasn’t.

can’t believe anyone thinks it’s better than Stranger

1 Like