DiSsers Share and Rate their albums of 2020 (an open-ended polling thread)

Enjoying this one, but didnt make the FKA Twigs connection when I first listened to this a couple of weeks ago. Don’t think they sound similar as such, but there seems to be at least a little shared DNA going on there

1 Like

Yeah I think they’re really different tbh, have seen them compared in a bunch of places though

Gave this one a 4.4 out of 5 so I’ve rounded up to 8.

Oh yeah, I really enjoyed this one although I’m now reminded how little time I’ve spent with it due to discovering it during lock down:

The album marries the propulsive Ugandan percussion of the Nilotika Cultural Ensemble with technoid analog synth lines and hybrid kit playing from the UK’s pq and Spooky-J.
It reminds me a bit of Foot Village.

Uganda @anon5266188 !

I think a lot of my music choices recently have come from a need to have music on while working (to blot out when my daughter was here doing her schoolwork) and this was great because it’s not got lyrics that I find often intrude on my concentration but interesting enough that I keep getting little micro-distractions from the ideas in it which kept my energy levels up.

Anyway

Nihiloxica’s Kaloli

0 voters

4 Likes

One that’s been overlooked round these parts for me is Lyra Pramuk’s ‘Fountain’ made entirely out of her own voice, sampled and distorted a whole heap of times.

I suppose I’d describe it like a kind of ambient Holly Herndon, but there’s also some really great parts more reminiscent of the poppier parts of Bjork’s Medulla.

0 voters

Definitely in my top 10 somewhere with some of the big hitters. Nearly went for Space Afrika’s hybtwibt? Another ambient leaning release that I’ve got a lot of love for.

Yorkston/Thorne/Khan - Navarasa : Nine Emotions

Third album from this great collaborative fusion trio that team up a Scottish folk singer, an English jazz double bassist and a traditional Indian musician who all share vocals. A mixture of new interpretations of British and Indian trad along with some of their own songs and some kraut-folk improvisations.

As a fan of Yorkston I’ve been following this trio from their debut but each album has upped their game a little from the one before I reckon.

These two tracks show off the contrasting Scottish and Indian sides of their sound

0 voters

Please, go ahead! I’d be honoured :blush:

2 Likes

Agnes Obel

Myopia

I am a big sucker for tranquil stuff like this, even before the hell of lockdowns, as it’s nice to read and work to. This is like ethereal vocals over a chamber orchestra. Just a wonderful album to calm down to and it has so many little hooks that get lodged in your head.

0 voters

2 Likes

Good thread, this.

14 Likes

Mrs Piss - Self Surgery

This is my most played album this year, a collaboration between Chelsea Wolfe and Jess Gowrie clocking in at a fairly compact 19 minutes. Yes, the name is pretty terrible but this album hits the sweet spot between sludge, ethereal goth and vaguely 90s industrial metal. If you like any of Chelsea Wolfe’s noisier songs, the Emma Ruth Rundle and Thou collaboration or any of the Crow soundtracks you’ll probably be in to this.

0 voters

3 Likes

Surely you’ve rounded down? 8.8/10=9

1 Like

Oh yeah, I voted 9. D’oh

1 Like

:nerd_face: :nerd_face:

Yelle - L’Ère de Verseau (Electronic Pop)

Apple Music and Spotify links

‎L'Ère du Verseau by Yelle on Apple Music

https://open.spotify.com/album/5iCfp2KefljOSPdRqpAvyW&ved=2ahUKEwjU3LSb-_jsAhWLiVwKHedVDFoQFjAAegQIDBAC&usg=AOvVaw084Hoxqc1CPvr6T5K_eCe7

Slightly dark but highly danceable Francophone pop. Single and humongous banger Karate rightly scored very highly (4th) in @megalithicrock’s tracks of Q3 thread, and if you liked that track there’s plenty more to love here. Plays a little like the evil twin of Empress Of’s Me, which in my view was one of the finest pop records of the 2010s. So put it on, make up your finest lyrics in a French accent, and have a good dance in your living room.

0 voters

2 Likes

Great shout.

Keep forgetting to listen to this so thanks. Relatives in Descent was so good, and one of my favs of the
decade so i need to rectify it asap

1 Like

Reckon AOTY for me so far is

Against All Logic - 2017-2019

Scratchy industrial techno bangers, the opener is such an insane bop, and the sequencing is so pitch perfect I just find myself listening to the whole thing every time, especially when things get really fast and heavy in the second half of the record. Just such a thrilling listen.

0 voters

5 Likes

This was a funny one. For about 2 weeks we were all raving about it in the dedicated thread, but then it was almost like all of us had been expecting it to be ATOY anyway so we all just stopped talking about how great it is.

It’s definitely still a serious contender for AOTY for me. Incredible album

1 Like

Wish I liked ‘Ultimate Success’ as much as I want to. Keep thinking it’ll click but it’s way below ‘Relatives’ for me right now.

4 Likes

Ah sorry to hear that. For me it’s a bit like The Strokes’ Room on Fire (in this way only) in the sense that it sets out to replicate a formula that was essentially perfected on the previous album, but somehow pulls it off again thanks to the incredible songwriting.

For that reason I think Relatives will likely be remembered as Protomartyr’s definitive work but this is nearly (if not exactly) as good in my eyes.

1 Like