DiSsers Share and Rate their albums of 2020 (an open-ended polling thread)

PSA:

When making polls you can change the type to Number Rating, and the max value to 10 - this gives the polls which automatically average the scoring rather than just adding ten options to a single choice poll.

2 Likes

Such a great album from Charli. I loved her last one (maybe cause I finally saw her tour it!) but this one beats it hands down. She’s just in a class of her own - there’s people doing massive poppy hooks like she does and there’s people doing the wild hyperpop experimentation like she is doing but I can’t think of anyone who is doing both.

Really agree with this, the album is still one of my faves of the year but think both the tracks on the EP are stronger than anything here (barring maybe that opener).

Such a strong opening opening stretch to this album. Free Gloss is a banger of planetary proportions.

1 Like

Did someone say bangers?

Jessie Ware - What’s Your Pleasure? (Disco/Dance/Pop)

Listening Links

‎What's Your Pleasure? by Jessie Ware on Apple Music

https://open.spotify.com/album/1CTm3ARqDETSm7GfvNYNJp&ved=2ahUKEwi3u83K_fjsAhUlQxUIHTXyDcYQFjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw0YbuqzBqBljpKORVKAqSsI

An album that’s all about escapism (by the artist’s own admission) and the transformative fun of the dancefloor, What’s Your Pleasure? has been a much-needed go-to whenever I’ve wanted to forget the burning world outside. Worth checking out if you enjoyed Róisín Murphy’s Róisín Machine or Daft Punk’s Random Access Memories. In her Apple Music promo interview for the album Ware stated “The premise was: Will this make people want to have sex? And will this make people want to dance?” An objective so admirable that Prince himself would approve completely (and the answer is most definitely yes).

0 voters

Trying to have a listen through most of the albums suggested, but I think this is my favourite of the ones I’ve not heard before. Thanks!

2 Likes

Young Jesus - Welcome to Conceptual Beach

Raw, experimental, emotional, sometimes jazzy indie rock. Not sure how else to describe it.

A perfect blend of U.F.O.F. style Big Thief and Building Nothing Out of Something style Modest Mouse.

Beautiful album closer

0 voters

1 Like

Trace Mountains - Lost in the Country

Melancholic, Americana-tinged indie rock from one of the members of LVL UP. There’s a surprising amount of anger and contempt for humanity running through this that’s initially masked by how gentle and pretty it can be.

0 voters

Lightning Orchestra - Source And Deliver

self described “psychedelic bootyshake”, this is monstrously groovy horn-led Afrobeat / funk / soul / rock from a twelve strong Atlanta act. These are long tracks (two weigh in at ten minutes plus), but the energy never lets up throughout. Totally uplifting, positive, party music.

FFO Funkadelic, Hendrix, Kuti, having a good time

0 voters

3 Likes

Alexandra Savior - The Archer

An album that I just keep returning to and love playing. Apparently sounds like Lana Del Ray maybe, but she’s never clicked with me. Am torn between Soft Currents (lovely sad sounding piano song) and the more (distorted) poppy/catchy song of Send Her Back (oh the horns!) as my favourites. and actually, probably a couple of other songs too.

0 voters

1 Like

Envy - The Fallen Crimson

‘Intense, overwhelming, beautiful and destructive all at once’ (borrowed this description because I’m not good at words) post-hardcore/post-rock.

Absolutely love the passion and sincerity Envy bring to their music, and think this for me might be just about their best album yet.

0 voters

Evening Hymns - Heavy Nights

This is one that unfortunately would definitely have passed people by. Canadian sing-songwriter, but a proper full band sound, and just so warm sounding - it feels like it will be a great winter night-time album I think. It’s only 8 songs long, but four of them are above 5 minutes, so it feels a perfect length. A bit of piano, synthy bits, some strings, and some saxophone dotted throughout it. I think it’s my top five albums of the year, and I could probably choose any of the songs, but will choose these these two:

0 voters

Midwife - Forever

As great as always, but even more sad and bleak and beautiful than usual.

This one’s actually a little bit upbeat (relatively) and an amazing single. Still really sad though.

0 voters

3 Likes

Told myself that I’d listen to each album listed here at least once.

Also told myself I wasnt going to bother with any new Flaming Lips after the last decade or so

I’ve put it on the play queue for tomorrow

2 Likes

Svalbard - When I Die, Will I Get Better

Really, really hoping that this album ends up having the kind of crossover appeal that lead to a bunch of people-who-wouldn’t-normally-listen-to-shouted/screamed-vocals falling head over heels for Deafheaven’s ‘Sunbather’. This is a way better record than Sunbather, by the way. Doesn’t re-invent the wheel, Svalbard have been making exactly this kind of urgent, socially-conscious, raging against the dying of the light music for years, but it’s the best expression of what they do: it’s sharper, harder and also more melodic. If you’re an indie music fan who doesn’t normally listen to metal/hardcore, I reckon there will be enough shimmering beauty in many of the guitar tracks here to have you fully investing. Love it.

0 voters

1 Like

Had a revisit of this album tonight… it’s fantastic, loaded with bangers.

1 Like

I really can’t crack this album for some reason. Loved it for 2 plays then it just started to slide off :confused:

1 Like

It’s better than a 6 though, jeez

1 Like

It’s really good. It feels like a hug from an old friend you haven’t seen in years.

1 Like

:man_shrugging: