DiSsers Share and Rate their albums of 2022 so far (an open-ended polls and chat thread)

You voted in your dozens (almost), and we listened! It’s the 2022 expanded edition of the “DiSsers Share and Rate their albums of the year so far” thread!

Show us your favourite albums of 2022 (so far) and tell us why you love them. Descriptions of genre/style are always appreciated, as are video/spotify/apple music links to the whole album or good entry point tracks.

(And whilst we’re doing it why don’t we have polls for a score out of 10 so that we can get an idea of which ones DiS as a collective digs (but not take any scores too personally))

How to correctly set up an average rating poll

Make sure to select ‘Number Rating’ when making the poll and set the max choices option to ‘10’

Can I get a hell yeah?

10 Likes

If you are new to this game and would like some inspiration, previous editions can be found at

1 Like
Nilüfer Yanya - PAINLESS

0 voters

1 Like

Easily my AOTY so far. Brilliant album and live too.

Absent In Body - Plague God

Collaboration between members of Neurosis, Amenra and Sepultura. Dark, sludgy industrial post-metal. It’s as heavy and unsettling as you’d expect!

Absent In Body - Plague God

0 voters

1 Like

Let’s start off with an album most Music Board users will have heard of, and one of about five albums that are seriously vying for my favourite album of the year at this very early point

Big Thief - Dragon New Warm Mountain I Believe In You

As somebody who thought that Big Thief had too thinly spread out a single album’s worth of music in 2019, I was initially not thrilled that they were going to be going electric boogaloo on us with a double album. How wrong I was, thankfully: 20 songs and only one of the could really be described as a dud imo, making this a viable candidate to join the pantheon of all-time great double albums.

It’s largely their most folk-y/acoustic based album outside of maybe UFOF, but dips in and out of alt-rock and country too. Most important of all, Adrienne Lenker keeps tossing out one compelling chord progression/melody after the other for almost the entire duration. I’ve never really warmed to a Neil Young studio album, but this is kind of how I imagined one would sound based off the way other music lovers talk about his classics. A really remarkable album.

0 voters

Have tried really hard with this but still dont find the second half particularly memorable. Which is a shame as i was hoping this would be a classic based off the promise of her debut and the singles. First half slays though.

1 Like

How dare you have an opinion that slightly differs from mine! :rage: :wink:

I do love the closing track “anotherlife”. Great ending song for me.

1 Like

Appropros of nothing…

3 Likes

Think I could get behind the riffs on this one but the vocals just aren’t for me :frowning:

My least favourite Big Thief album so far, but it still slaps massively

saba - few good things

0 voters

I love this album. So many layers and ideas, sometimes in the space of one track!

0 voters

2 Likes

Shit, I accidentally pressed 2 instead of 8! Can one edit poll responses?

yeah just click ‘show vote’ and it’ll take you back to the vote screen

2 Likes

just gave this a spin as i’d never heard of it, really enjoyed it.

1 Like

Amazing stuff

1 Like

Grace Cummings - Storm Queen

More listening links

Spotify

https://music.apple.com/gb/album/storm-queen/1586983053?ls

Probably my clubhouse leader by a fraction at this early stage. Storm Queen possesses a lush sound that sits somewhere between folk, singer-songwriter, Americana, and blues. It’s also home to one of the year’s most expressive voices. But whilst that voice is capable of dizzying, almost deranged, heights like Up In Flames and Heaven, Cummings also makes sure to use its versatility to avoid things becoming one-dimensional. In fact the quieter, more delicate pieces like Two Little Birds and Always New Days Always, with their exquisite flourishes and embellishments, prove to be just as compelling as the showstoppers.

For fans of: Janis Joplin, Hunky Dory-era Bowie, Aldous Harding, Angel Olsen, AFTP-era R.E.M

0 voters

Looking forward to their next album, AMARIO

3 Likes

En Garde - Debts, mix of mathy post hardcore, emo and lofi indie rock, full of angst and celebration, lots of little time shifts and noodly bits. Nostalgic without being dated in anyway.

0 voters

1 Like