DIY Chat

Hello. I did this in our living room. Time consuming, but pretty simple - it slots together like a jigsaw.

FINALLY we nearly have ONE ROOM done. It’s only taken 7 months. Fuck.

Terrible photo but we did the last coat last night:

Flooring is going down on Sunday. Need to buy some scotia / beading for the edges: oak (to match the floor), or white? Probs oak, right?

think it’s better to have the beading match the floor tbh

thought so

1 Like

You’re going to hate me for suggesting this, but could you remove the skirting boards, lay the floor and then put the skirting boards back?

according to the person who’s fitting the floor the “skirting board” will probably not survive being pulled off and put back on

deffo looks best but could be a MASSIVE hassle. Especially if you’ve already decorated.

1 Like

yeah, we knew this. tbh there’s gonna be quite a lot of furniture in the room so it shouldn’t irk us too much.

Nah once it’s done you won’t even think about it. Unless you have marckee over.

3 Likes

Hm. You’re definitely going to hate me now.

Skirting board is dirt cheap, and you can get it pre-painted. The board that you have now looks very low, and so you could probably remove it and any damage to plaster/decoration would be hidden behind the new, taller skirting.

I think it’s too late for this room anyway, if it’s going in on Sunday, but for future rooms, I’d consider it - it does make a fair bit of difference to how the room looks.

1 Like

:laughing: does it fuck.

4 Likes

yeah we might consider it. especially for the living room. my mum keeps saying THAT’S NOT A SKIRTING BOARD!!! and thinks it looks awful (she can shove it). tbh this is all a learning process for us: we’ve learnt loads and hopefully can improve on stuff for next time.

if you’re buying skirting board then get the pre-painted MDF stuff - much easier to work with.

Beading on a wooden floor makes it look like cheap laminate, plus I’m yet to be convinced that it allows the floor to expand and contract properly without buckling.

it’s laminate we’re putting down

1 Like

as long as you leave enough of a gap from the beading (and glue to the wall but not the floor) then expansion is fine in my experience.

I agree though I’d take the old skirting off and put new taller boards down. No reason why you can’t do the skirting after the floor has gone down either. However if it’s a bedroom(?) with lots of furniture I appreciate Niki not wanting to go down this route.

^this.

Then just fit it with adhesive on the back - no need for nails or anything.

I said cheap laminate - like the old Changing Rooms favourite. I think you said you were putting down decent stuff, more like engineered flooring.

nah mate its deffo cheap laminate and her new flat will look cheap and shit.

2 Likes