Do any of you have any good resources about your rights when having your job description changed?

eggs

It sounds like a bit of a restructure is definitely happening. It was dropped semi-officially in a meeting yesterday, and it sounds like it’s all going to go through by the end of November. It doesn’t sound like they intend to make redundancies, although that might actually be blessing in disguise for me if it did happen. It could all pass through without an acrimony but there was some friction in the meeting yesterday and I’d just liked to be prepared.

I will google this too but I thought that it would be useful to ask on here first.

Acas

Yep, was just typing that

this happened to me in my last job and I just said I’d need to see an amended job description and sign off on it plus salary increase before I started doing any of the new work. my boss looked at me a bit funny, but it worked.

should have probably looked at the legal stuff/rights etc. first though.

A few years ago I really resisted a restructure that resulted my job having the duties of two other jobs rolled into it, ultimately it’s pretty futile the best a person can get is statutory redundancy if they refuse the new role, and I think only in cases where there is a financial disadvantage to the new role, so it’s all quite ineffective. Looking back I was pretty militant, refused to accept a letter once because the person had signed it ‘head of department’ instead of ‘acting head of department’

your current contract may give your employer quite a bit of flexibility to vary your contract unilaterally so your rights will depend on what has already been agreed. obvious answers people have probably thought of… acas, a trade union you are a member of or which is recognised in your workplace, cab https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/work/rights-at-work/basic-rights-and-contracts/changes-to-employment-contracts-overview/

Starting point will be your contract. there is usually a bit in the job description section which says something like ‘You are employed as [job title]. We may change your duties and/or job title and may require you to carry out additional duties from time to time.’

If in any doubt however, I would always recommend acas as the resource of first call. They have a free hotline and you can also ask questions online through their automated thingy.

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=2042

Thanks to everyone that’s posted in here.