Do we all agree that Daniel Day-Lewis is STILL the greatest actor of his generation?

other than that silly film he did where there was singing and shit, I can’t think of him doing stuff that is anything other than fucking tremendous

thoughts?

he’s no danny dyer

5 Likes

Benefits from picking his roles very exclusively as well IMO.

Philip Seymour-Hoffman for me Silkz, Gandolfini would be right up there as well. It’s fucking awful that they’re both dead.

6 Likes

agree on PSH, my man. beautiful actor, for sure

3 Likes

always get him mixed up with darren day

Gonna chuck Naomi Watts out there as well, she’s fucking wonderful.

been digging oscar isaac of late

3 Likes

Cate Blanchett or Tilda Swinton for me, Clive

1 Like

Simon Gregson

2 Likes

both great

Really been enjoying Julie Walters in National Treasure atm. She’s fucking brilliant

1 Like

Best thing about that show by a country mile.

She was also great in Brooklyn (the last thing I saw her in). As was Saoirse(?) Ronan. She’s been great in everything I’ve seen her in actually

1 Like

not seen it but she’s always fucking brilliant, educating rita is a great film

1 Like

There’s hardly gonne be ONE person that’s “greatest of a generation” especially not while that generation is still active and all. But Day-Lewis is absolutely fucking tremendous, no doubt.

1 Like

Probably Johnny Depp

if we’re just naming good actors then elizabeth moss

2 Likes

why not?

Barely seen any of his films, but he’s very good in Lincoln.

Phillip Seymour Hoffman had an almost classless range. I don’t think there’s anyone he couldn’t have played,

A lot depends on what you want from an actor. If you want verisimilitude then someone like Nic Cage is a mile away from what you want but for intensity I think he deserves a mention. He walks a pretty unique line between art house cinema, main stream movies, b movie genre flics, and genuinely awful, made-for-tv level nonsense, and that’s kind of special. He’s doing a phenomenal job of writing himself off but he will end his career with a back catalogue like no one else, and if a director ever wanted to rehabilitate him I don’t think it would be that difficult to get another amazing role out of him.