Do you give money unconditionally to homeless people?

Fuck off

Doh

No, never. Only homeless charities.

Sometimes. It’s not easy mind. You never know whether or not giving them money is the best thing to do for their individual situation. A lot of the time it probably isn’t. Who knows. All I know is that sometimes people will come up to me (I don’t know whether they’re homeless or not, it’s worth stating) and ask me for money and sometimes I’ll give them some, and sometimes I won’t.

If they ask me for money I’ll give them money, in direct response to their question though.

Don’t post such bollocks then

1 Like

no one’s read the link in the OP have they?

3 Likes

Rarely money, often food.

I did.

1 Like

I’m really conflicted on this, tbh. I think that article makes some very strong points, and I think I’ve probably changed my position from what I’ve argued on here before: who am I to judge what someone spends their money on?

But on the other hand, I recognise a lot of the faces of the people who regularly beg locally, and I know that they’re in tenancies.

The harsh reality is that there’s an alternative giving campaign in the city where I work and I think I’ve probably contributed less than a tenner to it since it’s opened. Which is pitiful, really. So I think I should probably get off my high horse and just give a wodge of money before commenting further.

2 Likes

Didn’t say I did, said how you seem.

Any chance of getting rid of this one?

6 Likes

I did

and in response to the OP I do not give money to directly homeless people.

I give my time and fund raise for the Booth Centre. Rather than give a person £1 who can maybe buy 1 sandwich… if given to them they can make a meal for 5 people.

1 Like

You’re called Trigered which is enough for me

6 Likes

“It can only be tackled by raising people out of poverty, and a brute-force severing of cash flow is not going to starve people into seeking help from authorities they know will not, or cannot, help them.”

Did you actually read the article?

Ok, let’s leave it there.

I do think that the situation has changed to the point where someone’s decision whether to give money or not is likely to have changed too.

About a decade ago, sleeping on the streets wasn’t as much of a issue as it is now, and the support networks to help those on the street were a lot more extensive and capable of helping long term. I can even remember reading a report that said it would be more cost effective to buy £250,000 houses and just give one to every person sleeping rough, as their numbers has dwindled so far.

These days there isn’t that same safety net, and there isn’t the long-term support to take people on the route out of their situation.

So glad to have the edgelords on here :gun:

3 Likes

Thanks for explaining the problem of rough sleeping and homelessness to me, Marckee.

1 Like

Don’t agree with it’s reasoning or yours, for reasons explained in the article in the OP

1 Like

sidebar, what happened to yr cat picture?