Do you have a favourite mini-album?

Feels like a late 90s thing where EPs turned into little concept driven or mid-price albums.

Like, Ash’s Trailer wasn’t a full length.

My favourite is probably Captain by Idlewild. Was such a brilliant introduction to the band.

6 Likes

Agree on Captain.

Not sure when an EP becomes a mini LP, but Mudhoney’s Superfuzz Bigmuff and Boiled Beef & Rotting Teeth were both big releases for me in the early nineties.

2 Likes

Recent one I can think of off the top of my head is Adult Jazz’s ‘Earrings Off!’

Yes Captain is a great introduction to Idlewild.

Another 6 song debut released in 1998 is this brilliant long-EP/mini-album by Stoke-on-Trent emo/post-hardcore band Spy Versus Spy. Always enjoy revisiting this one.

2 Likes

I guess Slow Riot by GYBE would count?

7 Likes

Always…

12 Likes

No.

1 Like

Quite a few classic soundtracks like A Fistful of Dollars and The Day the Earth Stood Still.

Stereolab - Music For The Amorphous Body Study Center
The Fall - Slates
Granddaddy - Excerpts From The Diary Of Todd Zilla
Palace Songs - Hope
Sebadoh - Rocking the Forest
Katie Gately - S/T
Michèle Bokanowski – La Plage

Two all time favourites get called E.P.s but are mini LPs imo
R.E.M. - Chronic Town
Lambchop - Hank

2 Likes

Daytona

1 Like

The Boygenius one is great, but not sure if that’s an EP or a mini album. My arbitrary rule is an EP is max 5 songs, preferably 4, so I’m counting it.

5 Likes

Come on Pilgrim - Pixies
Beaster - Sugar
Metal Circus - Hüsker Dü

This as well, although since by the time I bought it it was released together with ‘early singles’, I’ve always listened to it as a 12 song album.

2 Likes

Oh, and Eldorado by Neil Young.

Slates by The Fall by a country mile.

2 Likes

Can’t remember any, think I just mentally class them as normal albums

It is also my favourite of all the albums.

The_House_of_Tomorrow

5 Likes

Feel like the Warp posterboys were amazing for this in the 95-2000 era. Come To Daddy, Big Loada, a slew of Autechre EPs. Come To Daddy is probably my pinnacle.

7 Likes

Great shout with Big Loada. Would Budakhan Mindphone count as that’s absolutely mint as well?

Anyway, you’ve just reminded me that it’s Squarepusher at the brude in a few weeks. Fuck yeah!!

1 Like

EP#2040 (yeah I know, but it’s 7 songs and 21 minutes) by Strange U is a relatively recent favourite.

And another vote for ‘Slates’ by The Fall.

Rumors Laid Waste by Blood Brothers

1 Like

I guess for a lot of people know it now as the last bit of Surfer Rosa, but Come On, Pilgrim is the one.

Throwing Muses’ The Fat Skier is pretty great too.

5 Likes