Do you know how much the person you're sitting closest to is earning?

Hi all,

Thanks for engaging with my vowels thread. It received much more traction than I was expecting. Now, I’m going to kick it up a notch by talking stoking a bit of workplace politics.

Do you know how much the person you’re sitting closest to is earning? I accidentally saw my superior’s payslip, so I do. I’m not sure where this thread will go, but it’s the journey!

Yes.

Nope. Not a clue.

Yes, I hired him.

yerp.

nope but I have to say that what other people earn is one of the things I am least interested in

5 Likes

1 Like

It might be different for people who think they’re underpaid and struggle to get by

2 Likes

Yes, to the pound. We work to published pay scales with points within them. People I’m friendly with chat about this stuff anyway.

yeah was gonna say this, but I’m very uninterested in people’s salaries if they don’t happen to work in the same industry as me.

Not sitting nearest (don’t have the privilege of sitting at a desk), but yes, I know how much my colleagues earn, as they earn the same as me (for another week or so)

Jean gets £7.51 an hour.

5 Likes

No one else in the building

bit generous of you, there.

I don’t want people working for minimum wage, mate.

1 Like

No. And one part of me is glad, although another part of me thinks we should follow the Scandanavian countries that make tax returns a matter of public record and just crack this whole taboo of discussing salaries once and for all.

1 Like

Yep. I work in The NHS. We know each other’s payscales and increment points more or less.

I think I am underpaid and whilst I wouldn’t say struggle to get by, I find that I havequite little disposable income by the end of the month

Not off the top of my head, but I work in the finance department and have access to everyone in the company’s salary info. It’s one of those things that you think will be interesting until 15 minutes into your first day, when you realise it isn’t interesting at all.

I’m at a table of unpaid interns…