Do you know the phonetic alphabet off by heart?

R for Romeo’s in there. Don’t break them apart again Geesey, don’t you dare.

4 Likes

Quebec for me.

Should be Quincy.

1 Like

should be queue

5 Likes

At least there’s a good song called ‘Romeo’, none of that Dire Straits shit.

I got tested on it when I was training to work on the railways.

I never had to actually use it on the job, but others certainly would have done.

TWO good songs

(I lie, I don’t like either)

3 Likes

absolutely love overhearing someone spelling something down the phone and totally blanking on a word for a letter

"that’s D for dog, R for robot, I for eh… I for…fuck. "

5 Likes

Never noticed before but there seem to be two factions on the spelling of alpha/alfa.

depends if you think it’s alfa / romeo or romeo / juliett

I find it really jarring when people use non-standard phonetic lettering. My mother always, always spells our surname as ‘N for Nut [rest of the letters] M for Mother’ and it makes me feel a bit queasy for some reason. Probably because she always does it like she’s explaining something to a child. Brr.

(I know the phonetic alphabet, I was an air cadet and I am a nerd plus I am poor so I’ve used so many shitty phone connections to try to deal with money shit that it’s actually come in useful)

Also use it for work, but I do enjoy gently trolling some of the uptights and using my own shorthand from time to time.

Does anyone remember Juliet Bravo?

1 Like

That’s W for Whitmarsh, H for Hyatt, O for Ofori…

1 Like

Have you done the full PTS course?

You get to learn all about signals and how to trip them with little explosives, which is pretty exciting.

So that’s H for Helicopter, A for Another helicopter, M for my helicopter, I for It’s a helicopter again…

9 Likes

letters that have words that are the same as letters:

bee
sea
if
gee
eye
jay
em
pea
queue
are
tea
you
double you
ex
why

Sadly not, no. It’s definitely something I’d like to in time, just to expand my options going forward as much as anything else…

Did a bit of signalling exploration on the ground and used detinators on a work visit to the Epping & Ongar railway, so have been exposed to them. Pretty cool stuff!

1 Like

They must have been pleased they avoided calling it Golf Hotel.

‘That’s S for sea, K for know, E for eye…’

6 Likes

You’ve really got me thinking about robot dogs now tbh