Do you reckon it's possible Brexit won't happen now?

optimism
bringapen

Or at least, a hard Brexit?

why do you ask this what’s yr reasoning

No.

:beers:?

i reckon Hammond is gonna try negotiate a soft brexit, with the silent intention to not actually go any further, then the issue will carry on for bloody ages and ukip will come back

oh it’ll grind on forever now, for sure.

Nah, it’s too far gone. Nobody’s going to admit it’s a colossal mistake.

It’s possible. But also very unlikely. Too many people would have to admit they were wrong, and no one likes doing that.

fuck knows

Yes, just if for nothing else I need to feel we live in a world where a whole country doesn’t fuck everything up for no reason what so ever.

I’ve said on here before that the big problem is the time it’ll take for the damage to be truly felt by the population and by that time it’ll be too late. You get loads of ‘things are fine so far’ and ‘the world’s not going to end’’ comments from leavers and that’s cause we’re still in the EU and economies are slow moving things.

In the long term it’s inevitable to will be members of the EU whether that’s staying in now or re-joining (on much worse terms) 10/20 years down the line (full on fascism/WW3 notwithstanding).

As much as we’re all against it, and as much as the general public were duped, would it not be undemocratic for it to not happen now?

obligatory, the whole system is undemocratic, man post :v:

Did think the other day with all the talk about the bill we’re supposedly going to have to pay the EU to leave, that the Govt should say that any Brexit voter would have, say, 20%, deducted from their wages/pensions/benefits/whatever for a year to pay for it. Obviously, as it was a secret ballot, people would have to volunteer for this. If fewer than 50% signed up, then the whole thing would be called off.

Of course not. That’s not how democracy works.

while this is all good points, if remain had won, and i told you that was being overruled, how would feel about these articles if they were used to support that happening?

But leave and remain aren’t equal results.

Doing an act of enormous self harm cos people who didn’t fully understand what they voted for narrowly got the majority in a massively flawed opinion poll is complete madness. You wouldn’t run anything like that be it a little club, a family or a business the would all have checks, balances and common sense to prevent disaster, let alone doing it to a country.

That we need to go ahead ‘just because’ is the worse reason to do it. Turning the UK into a tax haven for tories is at least a more vaild reason.

Ah, so you’re sort of saying by not saying that you would disregard the articles?

That’s a fair point, but if the result had been the other way around, do you think that Farage et al would’ve been “Oh that’s that then” and not pushed for further vote on it?

huh?

of course he wouldn’t. so what makes anyone any better morally?*

*obviously i know the answer to this but it’s worth reversing viewpoints

like i read your answer as ‘well that’s different you see - if they overturned the result I wanted, it would be wrong, whereas overturning the one i didn’t is correct.’

I am a devout remainer and struggle not to think of those who voted leave as either masochistic, racist or feckless, but nonetheless the ‘AH BUT IT WASN’T A REAL VOTE YOU SEE’ crowd annoy me a bit just because they’d literally be destroying the city if a remain vote got overturned