Do you understand what hibernation is?

I love hibernating

Go to sleep when September ends??

1 Like

It did surprise me when I first found out they had to periodically come out of hibernationā€¦to have a nap.

Wait, WHAT?

Yeah, not sure if its all hibernating animals but there was something I watched recently where they were saying how hibernation was really tiring to their system and if they didnā€™t come out of it to have a proper sleep theyā€™d die.

Found this about ground squirrels but it was definitely another animal I saw doing it. This says theyā€™d die from hypothermia if they didnā€™t wake up to sleep but sure this is a different reason from what I heard Warming up for sleep? ā€” Ground squirrels sleep during arousals from hibernation - ScienceDirect

1 Like

I reckon if I had a question about hibernation or, you know, British Wildlife or whatever and my Mum was unavailable and also thereā€™s no such thing as Google in this scenario, you would be my first port of call

5 Likes

Omg amazing, thank you! Youā€™re a fountain of knowledge

1 Like

Honestly, most of my knowledge comes from kids books :laughing: Won the Xmas quiz at work with some shark knowledge i picked up from Great Sharky Shark.

7 Likes

ā€¦ Vatican?

2 Likes

Iā€™ve liked and agree with this but I seem to recall 10 years or so back we both agreed that sleeping and eating were a bit annoying and getting in the way of us actually doing important leisure stuff. :smiley:

I mean we shouldnā€™t ignore your adoration of Chris Packham. Surely thatā€™s caused you to watch a LOT more nature-related videos than the average person?

1 Like

I assume this is just you being a fan of winter more than summer (which I can get behind) but I thought I would check in case Iā€™m missing something.

Feeling like this thread is very mammal centric and maybe we need to check some of our biases?

Anyway my tortoise is in my fridge and sheā€™ll be there till mid march when she goes back in the garden and he salad crisper gets rehomed.

3 Likes

Likes to wake up at 2.30am, enjoys a little cryochamber time

1 Like

Wtf???

4 Likes

Itā€™s Thursday. Itā€™s code.

1 Like

Yup. Its where she hibernates.

She used to be in the shed but basically climate change ruined that, if it gets above 10c then she wakes up and can die.

So sheā€™s in the fridge

10 Likes

What is tortoise name, Mr @Scagden Sir?

I hope itā€™s Michelle

2 Likes

How do you know when to get her out?