Doctor Who's a woman

agree that the baddie was underdeveloped but think it was kind of necessary, spending more time on him means less on rosa and the other more important / interesting plot threads. plus he’s still out there somewhere presumably, so he might be back at some point and we’ll learn more about him then

1 Like

Yeah agree that it was good they devoted so much time Rosa, that was definitely the right decision as it would be be kind of crass and offensive if she was an underdeveloped character.

But my gripe is general as well, the first three episodes have been very light on plot so far, it is so radically different to Moffat, which maybe why I’m focusing on it.

3 Likes

Also agree with Dan in the Guardian that the TARDIS is too dark and under lit.

2 Likes

feel like they’ll come back to that since yer man didn’t kill him or owt, just sent him really far back in time (where presumably he can still do damage, being, as he is, a dickhead)

1 Like

4 Likes

EXACTLY

Thought the villain looked a bit like Mac from Always Sunny:

4 Likes

I’m right in thinking this is better than it’s been in a long time, right? Stripped away some of that incomprehensible boring Moffatt bollocks

3 Likes

Think the three companions thing is working surprisingly well too.

3 Likes

I’m curious how the fans are reacting, given that I think more of them like the arcs and whatnot. Whereas, honestly, it’s been nice to be reminded how good Doctor Who can be when the focus is on more self-contained stories instead of layering a bunch of stuff that I couldn’t care less about.

1 Like

Thought this was quite good!

I was actually considering this.

Chibnall is such a dreadful plotter we’re really seeing how incredibly good Whitaker and the companions are at bringing things to life. I’m hoping next week’s episode hasn’t got his writing credit on it at all.

What I will say is Moffat’s twattiness and problems aside, his first series and his last were some of the best Who we ever had. That opening Matt Smith one had such a great feel all the way through and really great final two, and I still look back on Capaldi’s last series very fondly - Bill was a brilliant companion and his writing seemed completely different, much less of the usual overly complex stuff.

But… they also seem excessively ‘twee’ or maybe ‘insular’ now I’ve watched this new series. It actually feels like this show is trying to say something as well as being entertaining. And while it’s not quite as entertaining it feels great to see it being bold.

6 Likes

Yeah, i’d agree with this. I loved the last Capaldi series, but can’t really imagine anyone who’d never watched it before getting properly involved with it, whereas it does feel like proper relaunch, which could be a reason for the thin plotting and slightly clunky dialogue, in that they’re assuming they’ve got a lot of new viewers, Might be just giving him the benefit of the doubt though, we shall see. The performances and production are great so far anyway

I don’t recall ever having watched a full episode of Doctor Who. I suppose I must have done as a child at some point in the Tom Baker to Sylvester McCoy era, but it’s a cultural phenomenon - a British institution - that almost completely passes me by. Is it good?

It is sometimes good

2 Likes

Same until just recently. If I didn’t have a child there is no way I would watch it but it’s alright and fun to watch as a family.

BTW, been listening to the TARBIS podcast here:

Three American black women who are Doctor Who fans dissecting each episode makes for a lot of very different takes and is quite a window into a very different way of interpreting things.

The only downside is that they’re not all in the same room so the audio quality suffers a bit (exacerbated for me by not being familiar with their accents so occasionally I’m catching on what was just said) due to skyping in or whatever, and they also talk over each other at times.

2 Likes

quite happy about this if it just means we get a decent episode that isn’t Christmassed up to the eyeballs.

4 Likes

I’m the same. The Christmas eps were getting really bad

2 Likes