Doctor Who's a woman

Anyway, I for one shall be ignoring the frothing would-be-king fanboys and will be celebrating the old Doc’s 55th this evening by tanning some Troughton. The Invasion and a bottle of rum ought to do it.

5 Likes

Not sure how I felt about Witchfinders.

Felt like it had all the good elements but didn’t quite grab me as much as last week’s even though last week’s had the most confused and fucked up politics.

Alan Cumming was fucking brilliant in it, though. I would complain about the ludicrous nature of this portrayal of a former monarch but obviously Nu Who’s versions of Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth (and I think one of the French Louis in Girl in the Fireplace) already set how these things would play out.

1 Like

Think it was bit of a disappointment, but only because the elements were there to make it a properly brilliant episode but somehow it didn’t quite gel. Loved the mud zombie things, real old school hide behind the sofa monsters.

3 Likes

I watched this one.
thought it was alright but the ending was terrible, even by doctor who deus ex machina standards felt rushed and lazy

1 Like

King James has an accent that makes him sound like he’s trying to get a room, then changes up to asking for a zimmer.

Ending was very rushed, which was a shame, because it was felt like it was building up to a grandstand finish. Generally liking this series overall.

Posh Scottish accent seemed right to me?

2 Likes

I really liked how there was a proper villain this time. Most episodes this season the ‘villain’ has really been some concept of human ignorance or bigotry. The ending was not especially great but it felt like this was the first time Jodie got to have a ‘I’m the Doctor and I’m going to stop you’ moment.

4 Likes

Witches one really should’ve been a two-parter. Worried this season is starting to lose its steam.

King James of Morningside.

In fairness, speech therapy as a toddler means that my own accent is from Nowhereshire.

I guess. He sounded light Scottish to me. I have no idea why people think it’s odd. Not all Scottish people sound like “Ah hate Iceland” guy.

the ending felt very rushed, watched it with gf and a pal and all three of us were convinced it was going to be a two parter. alan cumming was brilliant tho, eye fucking literally everything :heart_eyes:

1 Like

SLAYER

1 Like

That episode was going so well and then WTF was that!? Just completely knocked me out of kilter.

Sorry this is so vague… trying to avoid spoilers.

REYALS

1 Like

I know! Fucking stupid Arctic Monkeys :wink:

1 Like

Really liked this episode, even though there wasn’t a villain per se, it was a nice big sci-fi concept that worked well and something that has not really happened thus far in the series.

The frog bit was indeed very strange and a little silly but if you were 7 years old you probably would have loved it.

Great music again this week, been the best thing about this series I think.

3 Likes

quite liked the frog bit but was very much hoping for river. sort of glad they didn’t include her coz it’s been nice having a clean break from previous serieseses but it would have been fun to wind up the people who say this series is ToO pC by having the dr being not only a woman but a woman with a wife, omg

1 Like

Yeah, I liked it a lot. I was okay with the frog as well. Daft whimsy shouldn’t be out of place in Doctor Who.

ЯƎYA⅃Ƨ