Documentaries - Whatcha watchin’? Whatcha recommendin’?

Love a good doc, surprised we don’t have a dedicated thread already, unless I missed it.

My top 10 would probably be

1. American Movie
  2. Dogtown and Z-Boys
  3. Shoah
  4. The Staircase (original one)
  5. Dear Zachary
  6. Etre et Avoir
  7. Grizzly Man
  8. Summer of Soul
  9. Sherman’s March
  10. LA 92

A lot of that stuff is a little heavy going but I also love the more left field docs. Spellbound, Hands on a Hardbody, United Skates, Kings of Pastry, Anvil, Demon Lover Diary all had me glued to them.

Haven’t seen a good doc in a while. What’s good out there?

3 Likes
1 Like

Forgot I’ve got the last part of that still to go. Really liked the first episode, the second didn’t appeal to me as much. Might finish it tonight

1 Like

King Of Kong
Finders Keepers
20 Feet From Stardom

2 Likes

Soon to be ruined

2 Likes

Next Goal Wins is better but if you liked it, you might also like this

1 Like

not a big documentary fan - just not keen on the format, so take these with a bit of a ‘he doesn’t know what he’s on about’ but I did enjoy

Act of Killing - obvious one but a genuinely fascinating and staggering concept
Collective - I think this is the name. One which was on iPlayer about a club fire which led to the discovery of corruption in the medical system of Romania. A really ‘wait what’ type thing which just gets more scary as every new development comes up
The Imposter - about the case of a guy who pretends to be the missing son of a family despite having different colour eyes/hair and being a different nationality
Room 237 - about a group of people interpreting The Shining in different ways. Think a lot of their theories are nonsense but it’s genuinely fascinating seeing how people apply what they think to the film and the depth they go to

2 Likes

genuinely fascinating

1 Like

Watched this the other day. Enjoyed it loads.

1 Like

In preparation for a trip to Indonesia, I watched Act Of Killing & The Look Of Silence and read The Jakarta Method. It made me delve into a pit of despair about humanity and “the west” from a whole new perspective that I knew nothing about.

2 Likes

is The Look of Silence worth a watch? never saw it, not sure why - think I got the impression it was a bit more of the same which may be completely unfounded

There’s a series called Paul T. Goldman which uses the same reconstruction methods as Act of Killing to fool the person into revealing more than they intended but it’s a lot lighter. Would recommend it if you can track it down. I don’t think it’s been shown anywhere in the UK yet.

2 Likes

Currently on iplayer i think

3 Likes

Really like those big meandering Ken Burns ones about the expansion into the West of the US or Prohibition or whatever.

3 Likes

Second this, heartbreaking and spellbinding at the same time.

1 Like

All the Werner Herzog ones.

3 Likes

This looks right up my street

The bassist from Yo La Tengo features

1 Like

watched a fun one called Sour Grapes the other day about a multi million dollar fake wine scam

1 Like