Documentaries - Whatcha watchin’? Whatcha recommendin’?

Telemarketers is fucking amazing btw

It is, yeah, it follows on from the other but without the high-concept premise. That’s me trying to say yes without spoiling anything.

Apologies for the lazy screengrabs from letterboxd, but these are my top docs, which i’d highly recommend…

4 Likes

How much of The Clock did you manage to see? The bits that I saw were outstanding. I was enthralled by the whole thing.

2 Likes

I managed to see 11:41-13:24, 16:34-18:36 and 21:14-21:58, and wish I could have seen more.

He has a new project at the White Cube that’s running this month but I’m not going to be able to see it sadly…

1 Like

Telephones is great too, love Marclay

I loved this as well, some kind soul has put the whole thing on YouTube. It’s a story of two people falling in love but composed of scenes from dozens of films all stitched together

2 Likes

Ohhhh thanks so much, I’ve not seen either of these!

Oh man the Arbor is so good but a total gut punch. Saw it at the London Film Festival and had to have a stiff drink after.

1 Like

I saw very similar times across three sessions too (2 at Queen Elizabeth Hall, 1 at The Tate Modern)

Hadn’t heard of his Doors project. Going to now see if I can squeeze in a visit before it wraps up this week. Thanks for the heads up.

Edit: Ugh, used work a 2 minute walk from White Cube, now I work on the other side of the city, Still going to try make it somehow.

1 Like

Land of Silence and Darkness by Herzog is on MUBI and is fantastic. Really loved how central Fini’s advocacy is in the film.

Watched The Arbor yesterday in fact. Wasnt expecting Lorraine to feature so much (in my head all her story more recently happened after the film was made).

(Do you know Lisa died in 2018?)

Definitely recommended reading Black Teeth and Brilliant Smile if you haven’t

2 Likes

OJ: Made In America is really good if you have a spare six hours or so.

Gleaners & I - Agnes Varda film about gleaners
Nostalgia For The Light - about people looking for the remains of their relatives that were killed by Pinochet
The Territory - about an indigenous tribe in the Amazon defending their territory

Dunno if I’d recommend it but the film The Kingmaker about Imelda Marcos (wife of former Phillipino dictator) is horribly compelling and I think about it a lot since her awful son’s now been elected president there

1 Like

I haven’t read that, thanks for the tip!

1 Like

This Ain’ California - Coming of age doc about teenage skateboarders in 1989 GDR, following them through the fall of the Berlin Wall up to 2011.
The Mole: Infiltrating North Korea - A BBC Storyville one (available on iPlayer).
The Witch Of Kings Cross - The story of Sydney based artist Rosaleen Norton.

There probably is more but those are some off the top of my head that I really found especially fascinating.

This was brilliant

1 Like

Loads of good recommendations here. One of my favourites is The British Guide to the End of the World about the UK’s history of nuclear weapons / preparing for nuclear war

2 Likes

If you’re still on Netflixbook, I recommend a documentary called Shirkers, which is about a Singaporean woman who had a film her and her friends made stolen by their teacher. It gets a lot weirder than that description makes it sound.

4 Likes

This is such a fascinating documentary

2 Likes

sitting at their computers completely allured :star_struck: