Does your enjoyment of music diminish as you get older?

As a teenager I was obsessed with music – I mean completely obsessed. I devoured singles, albums in painstaking detail. Everything, the lyrics, the music, the production, the sleeve, the promo video.
Since last week I have been listening to The National’s new album – at home whilst cooking, housework etc. I’ve had it playing on my commute work or in the background whilst working at home. And it’s pleasant enough, I like some of the songs, really like a few, but nothing really, really grabs me. And I’ve realised that nothing has really grabbed me for years, possibly decades.
It’s easy and obvious to blame digital music, and I partly do – too much choice, losing the art of listening to albums and not having a physical copy in my hand. But, I also blame myself – music just doesn’t give me the rush it once did – and it’s all rather worrying!
Does anybody else feel the same? Is anybody actually more in to music than they were when they were younger?

Yes, sadly very much so :frowning:
Also food, holidays, books, film, almost everything

F’in hell…

I think everything instant, everything available contributes to this maybe 50%.

1 Like

Hasn’t happened so far

2 Likes

I still massively enjoy music, just in a different way. Like you, I used to obsess over particular bands, their lyrics, the music, the tracklisting. There are still some albums from that time where I can remember every song in order.

Now, I tend to just… Listen. Sometimes I’ll find an artist or band I like but I don’t have that immediate desire to seek out everything they have ever done…

5 Likes

This is most albums i like probably, is this considered unusual? :confused:

2 Likes

Same here tilty

Used to be snobbish about music tbh, heavily curating my collection and actively seeking out new music, now i enjoy music in a calmer way, listen toa broader range of genres and and stream rather than collect, tho my collection was mostly digital it was still organised. The hours i put in on itunes to upload lyrics to thousands of tracks is a joke

2 Likes

No but my excitement for gigs etc has definitely diminished.

Before the Mew 15 Year Anniversary I wasn’t really that excited, despite it being one of my favourite albums of all time. Really enjoyed it when it happened though.

1 Like

I think I’m actually getting more into it and less partisan with that I listen to (although those who see my spotify may argue the contrary).

I was diagnosed with depression a few years ago and I’ve found music a great help with this

1 Like

I still enjoy music just as much as I ever have. The accessibility of it does make a big difference though. When I was a teenager getting in to music the cost of a CD meant that it was a treat, and the music and the physical object was much more treasured. There were more rituals too. Browsing Virgin Megastore to see what I could afford, first listen with the CD booklet in hand etc.

Now I can listen to anything I want + buy records and attend gigs with ease, it’s not quite the same.

7 Likes

Not found that it has. Although I am more reliant on sources for discovering bands than I used to be (not enough time to sift through stuff now). My favourite account for new music has stopped this week (RIP Small Albums), so need a new a new place to help discover new bands.

Definitely ruined by the digital age.

Remember mates at school getting a new album by a band we love so we’d all go round to listen to it or whatever.

kids probably just whatsapp a spotify link these days and maybe dismiss it after a couple of tracks if the music isnt instant.

Its ruined the excitement of “most” entertainment to be fair

4 Likes

Still love music but it’s harder to find money for live gigs as grown up life intrudes :frowning:

But I find the weekly slew of music almost suffocating. Every week there are a few more albums to listen too and I find that I’m not spending time with albums as long. I loved the Gold album from about a month ago but I never listen to it these days because another 10 albums have come along and it’s only possible to listen to so much.

No.

3 Likes

Pretty sure half the problem here is that you’re listening to The National, the dullest, greyest band of our time. The musical equivalent of a damp day in Dorset.

Try listening to something good.

6 Likes

Short answer, “yes” with an “if”. Long answer, “no” with a “but”…

There’s a bunch of reasons this might happen. As you get older you tend to have more going on in your life, be it work responsibilities, family, home, whatever. When you’re younger you tend to have comparatively loads of free time, so music is a nice way to fill that time. Also, being part of a ‘scene’ when you’re younger is a big part of self identifying and building your personality.

Also, there is a finite limit to just how much art/culture in any format you can really hold in your head at any one time. Most great works merit re-visiting, which with a finite amount of time requires sacrificing new discoveries to an extent, unless you never want to look back. I think streaming certainly has had an effect in this respect - just reading the new music threads on here and it’s amazing to me how people will listen to 6 or 7 new albums every single Friday. Back in the day when there was a real cost to buying new music (£17 for a new CD in 1997 - HMV you capitalist shills) you were a) both restricted by the volume of new music and b) more invested. Personally, I made a decision a couple of years ago to stop streaming and buy physical media wherever possible. I probably listen to maybe…50 new albums every year these days.

Gigs-wise, from my very first gig until now going to see live music has constantly been pretty close to the top of my list of things I most enjoy doing. Slowed down a LOT since having kids, but me and the TV will still try and get to a couple every month. As such, we usually make sure that it’s something that we are 90% sure is going to be good - end up watching a lot of heritage acts over new music as a result.

Bit rambly that. Short answer, don’t think so…

6 Likes

It’s not so much that your enjoyment of music diminishes as you get older, as it is that the music being released gets shitter as you get older.

3 Likes

This is true. 1991 has never been bettered.

2 Likes

Although 1997 made a good stab at it.

4 Likes

Your favourite music will nearly always be what you listened to aged 14 (which is indeed 1991 for me) but I don’t believe we enjoy music less as we get older. I think it pays to steer away from the mainstream though - that tends to be aimed at people in their teens and twenties. Bands like The National tend to de-evolve as their career goes on to keep within that bracket even when the band’s members are way outside of it.