Dog thread 🐾🐶🐕🐾

Just had to leave for work, and could hear him scrabbling at the door behind me :broken_heart:

Can anyone recommend a winter coat/harness?

When Scout was a pup he had one of these neoprene ones and it worked perfectly but the larger sizes don’t have a ring for attaching a lead so we’d have to use a collar, which we don’t want to do as we always use a harness.

So preferably a neoprene harness or at least one we can attach a lead to (he doesn’t pull so not a big issue). Or other materials if recommended.

Thanks!

I’ve ordered a custom one from Redirecting... before. She does padded waterproof with gaps for harnesses so you can still use them (or in our case we put it over the top). I need to order a winter one actually.

Do I need to do anything else to prepare for winter walking? First winter with a dog. We have one of those things for rinsing their paws when the gritters have been out/it’s been icy. Going to get her a waterproof coat with a snood as she hates the rain and loves being warm and cosy. We have a big microfibre drying blanket thing.

1 Like

Thanks - will check out…

We had snow shoes for our old dog but only because we were living somewhere with a lot of snow and his paws were getting a bit cracked in his old age. Sounds like you have everything well sorted.

1 Like

Rufus doesn’t go upstairs, even without a stairgate. Good Rufus.

16 Likes

Not really what you’re looking for, but an excuse to post a picture of Letty in her posh coat again

The relevance is that the coat has a little slit in the back for a lead to go through, so she can have her usual harness on underneath, might be worth looking for something like that?

10 Likes

What a smart dog!

What’s the brand?

1 Like

Dunno know really, mostly terrier, a bit of chihuahua maybe….oh the coat! Will check when I get home, but not sure it’s a branded one, we’ve had it years

2 Likes

Yeah Misty’s coat has a zip, so we put her harness on underneath and attach it through the gap. Most dog coats should have this :relaxed:

2 Likes

My Girlfriend’s mate has just brought her (absolutely beautiful) spaniel around to help us start getting Smudge more relaxed with dogs. 40 odd minutes of basically walking in decreasing circles around each other. Absolutely shattering having to keep really relaxed and upbeat, with loads of praise. We went a bit quick to start with and he had a bit of a snarl and dart, but in the end they were happily sniffing each other’s bums.

Would love to have photo of them together, but between the lead, keeping a handful of treats and being ready to lift him up if he gets nowty prevented it.

2 Likes

Mr Nosey has been enjoying himself at my sis-in-law’s house…

13 Likes

She’s also got a fluffy rug under/around the coffee table and he spent a lot of his time cuddled up on it…

He’s got a choice of baskets and beds and blankets and sofas at home, but I’ve been and spent £50 on one for a fluffy rug for our living room.

The things we do for that dog…

14 Likes

22 Likes

17 Likes

How is this comfortable?

16 Likes

Got back in from a walk and noticed that Smudges back right paw was leaving little bloody footprints.

Not loads of blood, but enough to leave marks. We’ve found what looks like a rubbing injury, and can’t see any cuts. We’ve washed the paw with soapy water.

He’s not limping, is eating, doesn’t seem distressed at all, but it’s worrying.

We’ve sent a photo to the GF’s vet friend.

Some say samoyeds take on a life their own. Tend to agree, heres the little guy passing his drivers permit. He misses all you wonderful doggies!

23 Likes

Smudge had a proper run on the long lead at the park. It’s joyous watching him really go for it, then jump around when he’s finished.

5 Likes

Majestic.

1 Like

Missy in pub dog mode last night. Only her third pub outing I think. I’d made a lovely cosy blanket area for her on the floor so of course she kept wanting to be on the table!

But she was very good girl.

23 Likes