Dog thread 🐾🐶🐕🐾

Great news that he’s bouncing back. My brother in law’s cocker had a similar episode recently and made a full recovery. Fingers crossed he gets better soon.

1 Like

Ah man that must have been scary. Hope the big bear feels better soon!

1 Like

So, the dog search is currently on hold (although I’m still browsing every day because it makes me happy). But, my mum has now said she wants to get a specific type of crossbreed and a puppy, rather than an older dog.

Does anyone have any tips on finding a proper breeder/stuff to look out for? I did some internet searching and there is one place in Essex that seem really knowledgeable, and they’ve stated they aren’t planning their next litter until late next year which shows they’re not forcing their dogs to churn out pups…

@wonton I think I remember you saying how impressed you were with your dog’s breeder? How did you find them?

1 Like

and obv once I get my own place I am adopting all the poor old doggies to look after <3

So, we actually used https://www.pets4homes.co.uk/ …which, as the most popular uk website, is probably rife with concerning situations such as puppy farms, so I’m not sure I should be recommending it! The trick is to read up on the signs of a good/bad breeder (easy enough to google, and you’ll find something like this: 8 Tips to Find a Reputable Dog Breeder - PetHelpful).

The biggest thing for us was to be patient and not feel as though asking too many “blunt” questions would jeopardise our chance of getting the ideal dog. A breeder should actually be happy that you are concerned about details, as they want they’re dogs to be well-homed. I would definitely be wary if they are in any way defensive, personally. Of course…this is harder when the breed you’re after isn’t very common…but then spending an extra few months diligently searching is worth it when their lifespan are usually 10-15 years.

It sounds a bit vague the best thing is to try and go with your gut for how genuine somebody is, and to try and stay disciplined!

Unhelpful bit: Since getting Martha…I have also thought about how also those puppies with “bad breeders” (or even those runts of the litter) still need loving homes too…so sometimes I wonder if it’s essentially the “right” thing to do. Personal choice, I guess…in our case I tell myself that we’ve actually had a lot of trial/error with Martha…which has luckily not had a lasting impact because she has such a relaxed/happy nature. With a nervy dog it could’ve been different…so it probably is best to be particular at first. We’d feel ready to get a rescue next, having learned from our mistakes (hopefully!)

1 Like

I LOVE ALL OF YOUR DOGS AND I MISS MY DOG AND I’M CROSS ABOUT IT

1 Like

SOLD!

Thank you so much for your replies @wileycat @wonton! I am at le pub but will reply when I get back :relaxed:

I think he and Martha would get on well!

15 Likes

Tonight was Bertie’s turn for a grooming. Less severe than Bramble’s, but looking smart again nevertheless.

More spaniel eyes though:

12 Likes

17 Likes

Martha grinning with her friend Lottie

17 Likes

I am enjoying the similarity of Lottie’s pose to the wooden giraffe in the background.

5 Likes

She’s a good poser, and very protective of little M

1 Like

Half a beef joint on the bench. She may sit there all night.

17 Likes

aw give this pup some of the beef joint, plenty to go around!

She’s already had a very generous serving!

1 Like

my mum used to make our dogs full on christmas dinners, with mash and carrots and everything

2 Likes

I take no credit for that, she’s been that way since we got her. Rest assured she’s awful in lots of other ways!

Another pic of my buddy Oscar. I love him so much.

13 Likes

handsome doggo this