Dog thread 🐾🐶🐕🐾

Just remembered that i saw a lovely dog while i was stopped at traffic lights earlier… and then its owner punched it :sob:

wtf

Yeah i know, jaw-dropping. I think it had given him a little nip because he was manhandling it, because, I’m guessing, the dude does not know how to train or care for a dog.

Oh my god I hope that dog gets away ASAP :cry:

They need reporting. And then punching.

We may have been incredibly lucky, but the transition from one dog to two was absolutely fine.

They were largely oblivious to one another for the first few weeks. It certainly seemed to have no ill effect on Bertie having a new dog in the house, though. They’ve subsequently (but gradually) become very close. This was them this morning:

In terms of the effect on us, if anything it’s become easier than having one dog - as they play together, sleep together etc. As such it feels like there’s a little bit less pressure.

Like I say, though, we may have just been lucky. I also have absolutely zero experience with puppies (Bertie was 3 when we got him, Bramble was 6).

Best of luck if you go for it - not that you’ll need it.

4 Likes

Keep us posted! Based on personal experience alone, I can’t recommend it enough.

Martha is still great

20 Likes

omg, she just gets more and more beautiful!

1 Like

She’s the absolute best. Don’t think I’ve trained her all that well; anything good she does is largely down to wanting to please…but I couldn’t ask for a happier, friendlier or funnier little dog :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Please take lots of pictures!!!

Yeah of course, sorry. I hope it goes well, though <3

1 Like

Having one of those days where I feel like a bad dog owner.

Misty is still having real trouble with other dogs. We tried to reintroduce her to Barney who was so excited and she couldn’t deal with it so hid under a chair and occasionally growled at him.

She’s also been stealing more things and her resource guarding is really bad. I genuinely thought she was going to bite my hand off at one point at the weekend. She responds to ‘drop it’ during play but not when she has a sock or shoe or whatever. My parents really lose their temper easily and I feel like that’s not helping matters but if I say that they just shout at me instead, haha.

Think I will have to get a behaviourist soon. Has anyone ever tried that?

I think this is a general dog thing to be honest. Hollie does it, Ozzie has started doing it. They know when they’ve got something they shouldn’t have, you can even tell from the way they scamper off and hide when you clock them with it. As above, and this is what the dog trainer said to us too, the best thing is to do them a swap for something better.

3 Likes

Last night I cried in my sleep about a dog

Check the parents, some goldens can be mad as a box of frogs their entire lives.

that muzzle was pure black when she came to us

14 Likes

If Martha is eating something she shouldn’t (frequent) and I say “what are you eating/what have you got” she immediately stops chewing and weighs up her exit options :joy:

I therefore try to make as little deal out of it as possible, if it can be recovered later. For more important things I also use “trade”. On the rare occasion she hasn’t wanted to give it up and it’s potentially dangerous, I’m lucky that she’s soft enough to have her mouth prised open without issue (hate doing it though)

2 Likes

Do not get a setter. They are an absolute nightmare. My parents have a young English - supposedly the calmest- and he’s a bloody handful. Huge too. Beyond quirky.

14 Likes

Cmon dude its time for bed, no more playing…

24 Likes