Donating blood

vampires

Doing this next month for the first time in 12 years.
Any seasoned donors here? Tell me about it all

Your topic is similar to…
Just used a grill for the first time
Anyone watching The Get Down?

Do you know they won’t let me donate in Australia because they reckon I might have mad cows disease?

I really should, I know I should but the thought of it makes me queasy. I should just suck it up and do it.

As means of compensation I’ve made all of my organs available when I’m dead.

i thought that’s why you got deported from this country?

Do you have a Hammond in your collection?

This is a bad joke. I’m sorry Foppso, I really am but that was bad and not good.

i’m not accepting this verdict until theo says so

You get biscuits, squash and crisps at my local. I like doing it. I do so little else that’s altruistic or beneficial to society.

I give it at Norwich City FC’s ground. Cue great joke about giving blood at Millwall or wherever has a hooligan rep.

Yeah, but can’t they just put it through a sieve or something? I’m trying to be helpful.

^This
Removes all the chunks of burger

I’m not allowed to because of my leprosy.*

*eczema

I would love to, I think my blood is probably top quality stuff, I hardly ever get ill and all my grandparents lived to over 95.
However there are many stipulations, no drugs prescribed or otherwise, certain medical conditions aren’t allowed and there are others… but do it if you can

doing it this afternoon for the first time since Uni… not looking forward to it one bit either. had been putting it off for years then a friend got sick and had to have a blood transfusion and that was enough guilt to sign up again.

just looking at the official conditions for the first time ever now (never been able to because of my conditions)

You must never give blood or platelets if…
• You are HIV positive.
• You are a hepatitis B carrier.
• You are a hepatitis C carrier.
• You are HTLV positive
• You have ever received money or drugs for sex.
• You have ever injected, or been injected with, drugs; even a long time ago or only once. This includes body-building drugs and injectable tanning agents. You may be able to give if a doctor prescribed the drugs. Please check with us to make sure.

You must not give blood or platelets for at least 12 months after sex (even if you used a condom or other protective) with…
• If you are a man who, in the last 12 months has had oral or anal sex with another man (even if you used a condom or other protective). More information regarding this ruling about men who have sex with men.
• (If you are a woman) a man who has ever had oral or anal sex with another man, even if they used a condom or other protective. There are exceptions, so please check.
• A partner who is, or you think may be:
• HIV positive
• A hepatitis B carrier
• A hepatitis C carrier
• HTLV positive
• A partner who has ever received money or drugs for sex.
• A partner who has ever injected, or been injected with, drugs - even a long time ago or only once. This includes body-building drugs and injectable tanning agents. You may be able to give if a doctor prescribed the drugs. Please check with us to make sure.
• A partner who has, or you think may have been, sexually active in parts of the world where HIV/ AIDS is very common. This includes most countries in Africa. There are exceptions, so please check with us to make sure.

Not allowed to because of medical conditions/having a dirty Prednisone habit. However I used to give blood, and I’m O-, so I’m still on their mailing list and get lots of guilt trips about how they need my blood. They gave me a magazine once about O- blood, I guess to make you feel special and donate more?

Try and give every 12 weeks or so, I think that’s as often as you’re allowed to. I enjoy it, something about medical equipment and needles and tubes fascinates me.

I donated in July (I think) for the first time. Was a really hot day and didn’t drink enough so nearly fainted afterwards. Doing it again in a few weeks - hoping to be better-prepared this time.

I am blood type…

• A-
  • A+
  • AB-
  • AB+
  • B-
  • B+
  • O-
  • O+
  • Don’t know
  • Other (are there others?)

0 voters

Fair shout TBH, few of us here are on the fence.

Not alllowed :two_men_holding_hands: It’s probably 80% Heineken anyway. Would love to though, fucking love free biscuits.