Double albums (check out my attention span thread)

toomanyalbums
double
oldgit

Who’s got time for a double album? Me. Which do you dig?

Thread rules: no moaning about how it would be better condensed to a single. Wallow in the filler.

Here’s a great one by Stevie Stills and co which I’ve just ordered for the Gertfather for Christmas

70s jammy country flecked rock with an amazing band. Double album format lets them stretch out the jams, give plenty of top banana guitar solos, and try out bluegrass, Latin and more straight country styles alongside the chooglin.

Best double albums

NIN’s ‘The Fragile’ is the ultimate double album for me. Trent’s terrific at varying the pace so it feels like there are different ‘movements’ within the whole. Plus you have elements of his ‘character’ throughout so there’s a ‘story’ of sorts.

Does autechre -elseq 1-5 count…? 4hours in 5 parts… :sunglasses:

Frances the Mute as originally intended. 90 minutes of perfection.

That sounds like exactly the sort of thing I’d love! Never heard of them before. Thanks!

Have A Nice Life - Deathconsciousness
Lift To Experience - The Texas Jerusalem Crossroads
The Knife - Shaking The Habitual

Those are the first ones that come to mind, struggling to think of others. Not a big fan of double albums!

Nick Cave - Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus
Eels - Blinking Lights and Other Revelations
M83 - Hurry Up We’re Dreaming
Swans - Soundtracks for the Blind/The Seer

And if we’re talking triple albums, then add Have One on Me and 69 Love Songs on there too.

I’ve noticed a lot of recent albums get issued on double LP even though they aren’t that long. Did I read somewhere it was a quality thing? Anyway, if those count, then Kurt Vile’s b’lieve im goin down is a great one. The deluxe version has a third plate as well, even more to get lost in.

Sign O’ the Times. It’s not the only double album I enjoy, but it is pretty much the only one I can think of that doesn’t have glaring weak points.

Woah… sounds great! Thanks for the prompt, this has now been purchased for the crispfather too. £7.50 on Amazon. Barg.

Re. doubles, got a lot of love for Physical Graffiti. Is Sufjan’s Illinoise a double? If so, that too.

Add Bitches Brew too. Its sprawl is totally necessary.

Closely related to the OP, the Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young live album 4 Way Street is a beauty. I guess live albums are always going to be an hour and a half or so. Do they count?

Other than that, Selected Ambient Works is the gold standard.

Loads of good ones out there but a fairly recent one that comes to mind is Field Music’s - Measure.

[quote=“Gert, post:8, topic:9103”]
I’ve noticed a lot of recent albums get issued on double LP even though they aren’t that long. Did I read somewhere it was a quality thing?[/quote]
I’m no audiophile but…probably?

I remember when Lou Reed’s New York came out everyone made a big fuss about how they were able to fit an hour long album onto a single disc. Don’t see much of that kind of thing lately.

yeah, the more you squeeze onto a side of a record the worse the quality gets and they lose loudness too.

We had a similar thread recently.
Lots of great stuff in there.
Hadn’t heard Leaves Turn Inside You by Unwound until it was recommended here… It’s excellent.

Might be an issue fitting the tracks on a single side if there are a few long ones in a row, plus quality suffers if they cram them all in. The cynic in me says they want to make people pay more of course.

Embryonic by the Flaming Lips is the last truly decent thing they’ve done imo. It’s got some tastefully restrained instrumentation so you get little motifs appearing throughout the album, and it’s well structured too. Drums are boss as well.

Sing To God parts 1 and 2 by Cardiacs. Qualifies as a double because it was originally issued that way. Greatest album of all time, single or double, and not a note of it filler.

Leaves Turn Inside You - Unwound. The best really
Melon Collie… - Smashing Pumpkins. yea it is great, no need to agrue
Tired Sounds of Stars Of The Lid - Stars of the Lid. Gorgeous from start to finish
Zen Arcade - Husker Du. Well it’s just a corker innit.

gonna check that Stephen Stills Lp out though cheers OP, sounds good.