Double albums (check out my attention span thread)

Add Bitches Brew too. Its sprawl is totally necessary.

2 Likes

Closely related to the OP, the Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young live album 4 Way Street is a beauty. I guess live albums are always going to be an hour and a half or so. Do they count?

Other than that, Selected Ambient Works is the gold standard.

Loads of good ones out there but a fairly recent one that comes to mind is Field Music’s - Measure.

[quote=“Gert, post:8, topic:9103”]
I’ve noticed a lot of recent albums get issued on double LP even though they aren’t that long. Did I read somewhere it was a quality thing?[/quote]
I’m no audiophile but…probably?

I remember when Lou Reed’s New York came out everyone made a big fuss about how they were able to fit an hour long album onto a single disc. Don’t see much of that kind of thing lately.

yeah, the more you squeeze onto a side of a record the worse the quality gets and they lose loudness too.

We had a similar thread recently.
Lots of great stuff in there.
Hadn’t heard Leaves Turn Inside You by Unwound until it was recommended here… It’s excellent.

Might be an issue fitting the tracks on a single side if there are a few long ones in a row, plus quality suffers if they cram them all in. The cynic in me says they want to make people pay more of course.

Embryonic by the Flaming Lips is the last truly decent thing they’ve done imo. It’s got some tastefully restrained instrumentation so you get little motifs appearing throughout the album, and it’s well structured too. Drums are boss as well.

4 Likes

Sing To God parts 1 and 2 by Cardiacs. Qualifies as a double because it was originally issued that way. Greatest album of all time, single or double, and not a note of it filler.

1 Like

Leaves Turn Inside You - Unwound. The best really
Melon Collie… - Smashing Pumpkins. yea it is great, no need to agrue
Tired Sounds of Stars Of The Lid - Stars of the Lid. Gorgeous from start to finish
Zen Arcade - Husker Du. Well it’s just a corker innit.

gonna check that Stephen Stills Lp out though cheers OP, sounds good.

1 Like

Vince Staples’ Summertime '06

1 Like

bob dylan - blonde on blonde

Beast of an album (though I will disagree and point out that ‘The Terror’ is great too.)

CTRL+F ‘Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven’

NO SIGHTING

2 Likes

Shit name for a band, that. Album name sounds very derivative as well.

1 Like

Definitely starting a band called No Sighting now.

1. Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, The Smashing Pumpkins - still no album like it, and it was so ubiquitous that it’s easy to forget what a massive departure it was for the band, both in terms of their own output and the output of their peers (can you imagine anyone else from that time period releasing anything like the second half of Disc 2?). It’s mind boggling that there’s enough great material for a five disc album, Corgan is really a once in a lifetime talent.

2. Machina 2, The Smashing Pumpkins - Another Pumpkins classic, Machina’s raw counterpart. It’s great the whole way through, and Home in particular is a highlight.

3. Lift Yr Skinny Fists - Godspeed You! Black Emperor - A masterpiece, and Sleep in particular is one of the best things ever written. Whenever I listen to it I want to find more albums like it but nothing has come remotely close yet.

4. Blinking Lights and Other Revelations - The Eels - His best album aside from Electroshock Blues.

5. Leaves Turn Inside You - Unwound

Also if it counts, New Moon by Elliott Smith would be #4 or #5.

4 Likes

Has anyone mentioned that that Arcade Fire one could easily have fit onto one CD?

1 Like

It is great, I really need to re-listen soon. ‘I Can Be A Frog’ tho - absolute toilet!

Yes to pumpkins love

2 Likes