Double albums with more ‘Killer’ than ‘filler’

Except for high concept/tied-in-concept projects, I don’t think there are any.

So yes, Minilogue - Animals would be an example but that’s kind of different in what’s being achieved.

Is the double album ever decent for yielding a worthwhile amount of music?

you might get 1.5 albums worth of good music out of Melon Collie and Wilco’s Being There

5 Likes

So I love a lot of Mellon Collie, but not more than 10 tracks surely.

Wilco is an EXTREMELY good shout

1 Like

Wait, more killer than filler surely just means over half are great? That’s surely most doubles?

If we ignore best ofs then off the top of my head:

Skinny fists
The Seer
The Epic (triple album!)

2 Likes

You have a very low bar (or maybe I haven’t heard enough good double albums)

That Nick Cave one The Lyre of Orpheus is bloody great.

I’d also say Daydream Nation is properly great. The problem is I’m rarely in the mood for 75 minutes if classic Sonic Youth but that’s not the fault of the album.

14 Likes

Lift To Experience

11 Likes

As I say if you’re saying more than half the tracks are great then I’m absolutely going to hand you The White Album.

I am just trying to understand your criteria because in my view most doubles could be cut down to a much better single album, which is my point about more than 50% being killer.

But if you mean ones where every track is gold then I refer you to my five specific choices because a large number of tracks on The Wall or The White Album are bobbins!

4 Likes

I see what you mean

And yeah I’ll take your criteria more than mine - doubles where you literally couldn’t fit the decent tracks on a single cd are rare

2 Likes

Sign O’ The Times.

15 Likes

Steve Wynn - Here Come the Miracles

1 Like

Never heard this, getting on it now with a pint

1 Like

Not counting the Apple Jam disc, All Things Must Pass is pretty perfect.

3 Likes

Simple Minds - Sons & Fascination/Sister Feelings Call

Raekwon - Only Built For Cuban Linx

Loads of albums that are largely instrumental, albums that are more a collection of 4 ish minute pop/rock songs I’m generally pro brevity. Even if all the songs are great it’s not often I’d be in the mood for say 90 minutes. Lots of cd era albums that are over 45 minutes so end up being double vinyl but are maybe 60 mins say, I think maybe don’t fit here either.

Elliott Smith - Figure 8 and Basement both perfect imo but I know lots of people would consider their weakness being too long.

1 Like

Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life
Prince - Sign ‘O’ The Times
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
Fleetwood Mac - Tusk
Can - Tago Mago
Aphex Twin - Drukqs
Bruce Springsteen- The River
The Rolling Stones - Exile on Mainstreet
Isaac Hayes - Black Moses
Huskier Du - Zen Arcade

11 Likes

It’s hard to describe ambient drone with the term ‘killer’, but Stars of the Lid’s last one is one of my favourite albums of all time.

8 Likes

‘Du is a lovely shout

N/A

1 Like

London Calling

Sandinista (double’s worth of good stuff across a triple)

is Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me a double?

7 Likes