Lightweight

7 Likes

Julian Cope - Peggy Suicide
Neon Indian - Vega Intl. Night School

1 Like

Lots of good shouts here

M83’s Hurry Up We’re Dreaming is a good one from recent-er years

3 Likes

you can throw in ‘Jehovahkill’ too. JC was in some form then.

1 Like

Julia Holter’s “Aviary” is one of the few double albums that I find really engaging from start to finish

3 Likes

Always kind of respect them for making the first half their most accessible album (imo) and then just plunging into deep avant-Pingu skronk in the second half

2 Likes

Sigur Ros ( )

3 Likes

The Beatles (white album).

Electric Ladyland.

Excellent call

Was going to say that it depends on whether we’re talking double vinyl or double CD, as the difference in total length in each case is massive (1hr 20, say, vs 2hrs+)… however I don’t actually think there’s a single release that presents itself as a double album that wouldn’t be better if it were cut back to a single album

3 Likes

Brother you cannot, cannot go to bat for we only come out at night

1 Like

It really depends what you mean, I think. On the one hand it’s obviously right that on any album, even the great ones, not all of the songs are good as the others. To that extent it is obviously right that you could make any double album ‘better’ (in the sense of making its putative ‘average score per song’ higher) by cutting half the songs off and making it a single album. By the same token any single album could be made ‘better’ (in the same sense) by being made into a mini album and any mini album could be made ‘better’ by being turned into an ep (etc, etc).

On the other hand, the best double albums (say Songs in the Key of Life or Sign ‘O’ The Times) gain something in my view from their wild sprawling diffuseness. There are individual songs on both records that I don’t love if heard in isolation but the albums would still be less interesting and fun and exciting if they weren’t there. Considered as a whole rather than track by track they are better as double albums and if you make a single album length playlist of your favourite songs it’s always less good than the original.

That said, there are obviously lots (most, probably) of double albums with tracks that are nothing more than filler and that would be better off trimmed down.

4 Likes

Reckon there’s an astonishing double album in Have one on me

4 Likes

Selected Ambient Works.

Melon Collie is actually a triple album with about one and a half album’s worth of great stuff so you could probably pare it down to a great double album.

3 Likes

Funny innit, the double album feels like a bit of a relic. Presumably they came about because the material an artist wanted to release wouldn’t fit on one LP, but obvs now half of all new releases come on 2 LPs, so an artist has to make a very particular “this is a genuine double album, lads” statement for it to really count, which seems to be limited to traditional rock acts and that

1 Like