Downer/Downbeat Albums

It was included as a bonus on the United Kingdom cd, but that’s the only other place it’s been available.

1 Like

This fits the bill I hope.

Never heard this before, so went a-hunting for it. Thought you’d like to know there’s a reissue on its way:

3 Likes

Great to know that! I’ll be looking to grab the reissue of ‘engine’ for sure.

have you heard this one?

a small step removed from Crow, which is to say his mourning is at a different stage

seeing this live at a church in Leeds in November (I think) 2017, hearing it unfurl for the first time, was the most bleakly transcendent thing I’ve ever experienced

I’ve only ever been close to that kind of intensity one other time, and there were external circumstances at play

also the Microphones 2021 album, have you heard that?

I’m lucky enough to have bought it first time round, although a vinyl reissue would be nice because my copy disappeared somewhere (I suspect due to my keenness to lend it to everyone in the world who has not heard it). Still got the CD luckily.

If it is reissued I hope it finds a new audience. It’s so great, and suffered at the time through being ahead of its time - it was ‘alt-country’ before anyone had thought of such a thing - and masses of stuff that’s come since has been influenced by it. Anyone who likes Jason Molina or Red House Painters or Uncle Tupelo or anything like that should love it.

2 Likes

Giles Corey (might be a bit darker than just a downer record)

First Cass McCombs album gives me Smog vibes

2 Likes

Ooof. Absolutely amazing record

Codeine - Frigid Stars
Palace Brothers - There is no-one what will take care of you
Baptist Generals - No Silver / No Gold

All pretty bleak mind.

2 Likes

A great one for this time of year is Midwife’s Like Author, Like Daughter. Slow, fuzzy sadness.

1 Like

Also it’s always a good time for Adore.

If you want something less bleak but still sad, I highly, highly recommend the Machina Acoustic Demos even if you’re not a huge Pumpkins fan or fan at all. Wintry, melancholic acoustic songs. Could have easily been released as an album and probably should have.

A couple samplers:

You can find the whole thing here:
Machina Acoustic Demos Album

If you like bedhead then all 4 LPs by ‘the new year’ are must listens. The brothers from bedhead doing similar stuff basically. I actually prefer the new year to bedhead on the whole.

2 Likes

Dirty Three are my go-to melancholy music

1 Like

I find these guys oddly uplifting, especially at this time of year:

1 Like

Honestly cannot recommend this whole album enough. Give it a go and a bit of time:

I just discovered this morning that Spacemen 3 have finally made it to Spotify

Feels like this is the right thread for them