Dr. Martens / Solovair

Sorry but it’s just not possible, sorry.

I love a pair DM’s. Have a few pairs of the more fashion style for work (teaching). If I was looking for a more hardwearing work boot I would now go for a pair of Red Wing.

Docs always sell well on the secondhand market too. I have a few pairs in my inventory for the flea/antique show I’m setting up at this weekend. Fingers crossed I’ll shift the lot.

I have a “for life” pair that let’s be honest I’ll never bother redeeming. They’re… fine. Probably could’ve done with them about half a size smaller. Don’t wear them very often so they’re a bit of an annoying albatross tbh.

i’ve had some of the “for life” ones for years. they’re… well, really fucking heavy and i absolutely hate walking in them. not even that comfy, imho. look nice, but i’ve now gone full on barefoot shoes wanker so will probably never ever wear them again

1 Like

Last month I found a pair in a recycling pile at Beautiful Days festival. A good find.

3 Likes

wear my 1461s every day and they’re comfy as fuck, like walking on air. look beautiful after several years of wear. need to replace the laces, they’re about to go though.

wore them with running shorts at green man and got told I look like a schoolboy and or a pervert

13 Likes

This. Solovair for life.

I think the ‘Made in UK’ DMs are made under licence by solovair and other UK bookmakers for DM. At least they used to be anyway.

Quality of Solovair is so much better than standard DMs and in some cases cheaper as well.

3 Likes

As a 90’s grunger I had a pair which I bought in the mid 90’s lasted until glastonbury 2003 where I lost them within 10 mins of arriving on site.I get the feeling they would have just carried on going. Never got round to getting another pair but I have a pair of Grenson boots which I love and reckon they have years in them.

I do like the way Dm boots look. They are iconic.

3 Likes

Bought by a private equity fund in 2013. Only 1% of their output made in the U.K. now. Withdrew the lifetime guarantee they used to offer in 2016.

2 Likes

:hearts:

3 Likes

I think this thread is the first time I’ve heard of solvair. Might have to dip in if they ever do a vegan run of the platform boots

4 Likes

I bought a new pair last year, and have worn them about three times, which isn’t enough to break them in properly.

The fact that they are now not what they were doesn’t really matter to me, because let’s face it a mid-life crisis is a mid-life crisis however you chop it up.

2 Likes

Think I’ve seen they do a vegan range. Worth signing up to their mailing list as they tend to do limited runs of different styles, so some sizes and styles might be out of stock periodically

1 Like

All these replies and not a single one of these:

5 Likes

Got myself a pair a few months back.

4 Likes

Was Dr Marten himself a Nazi trying to invent an anti trenchfoot boot or is that an urban legend?

GP in Cornwall afaik

6 Likes

Waitrose car park Nazi

1 Like