Drinking in L.A.

We putting 74, 75 in here too?

5 Likes

Spaceman by Babylon Zoo is better

No, no, no. What binds these three songs is sort of vaguely dance poppy vibes, guys with shaved heads in tank tops and girls with dreads or bleach blonde hair, driving around somewhere sunny in cars/bikes, some sort of female backing/support vocals.

Thereā€™s a very distinct vibe.

You Get What You Give is just a guitar-led power pop tune.

3 Likes

This one is definitely a contender. Fucking terrible tune though.

1 Like

Basically got everything apart from the heavy skater vibes that land it alongside the Jackass tomfoolery of the early 00s

1 Like

ā€œpopular on the radio at a certain time with an indie vibe that crosses to mainstreamā€ is fine as a genre as long as you accept it doesnā€™t tell you anything about that genre.

This thread, however, is in praise of the Bran Van 3000 song and the post I responded to was in huge praise of How Bizarre. I was simply trying to squash an acceptance of the whole vibe being automatically great.

1 Like

Oh, Iā€™m with you there. Drinking in LA > Steal My Sunshine >>>>>>> How Bizarre (>>>>>>>> Every Morning etc.)

2 Likes

Ah yeah the scratch interlude, gotta have that.

1 Like

No. Not even the same world.

Agreed. How Bizarre and Steal My Sunshine are pretty similar on a lot of levels.

You Get What You Give is closer to Mmm-Bop. Neither must be countenanced.

1 Like

I mean I like Beck but you couldnā€™t really say heā€™s vastly underrated, could you

1 Like

I like Beck a lot, but I think that the last decade or so hasnā€™t been particularly kind to him. I remember thinking of him on the same level as Bjork as a prodigious alt music visionary.

In hindsight basically released one groundbreaking album, Odelay, at just the right time (i.e. following his commercial breakthrough with Loser), and another very good one in Sea Change, and then just decent bits and bobs otherwise. Donā€™t think that puts him up there with the greats.

I was about to post that Iā€™d never heard ā€˜How Bizarreā€™

but then I looked it up and, reader, of course Iā€™ve heard ā€˜How Bizarreā€™

3 Likes

Along the line of songs I remember of this sort of ilk from when I was a small child, Cornershop have some decent stuff, aye

1 Like
1 Like

Still not got a clue what a brimful of asha is.

Does this fit?

2 Likes

The whole vibe of Crazy Town is way more early 00s toxic masculinity rap rock to be lumped in with Limp Bizkit and co. IMO.

Bloundhound Gang is another example which bears a lot of the hallmarks but has to be lumped in with that crap.

4 Likes

I donā€™t get sea change really. every album he made beforehand is better, and how people like it more than mutations is a complete mystery to me

4 Likes

Mutations is a stone cold beauty, and the best thing he ever did.

3 Likes