Driving in Europe

Is your reference to unnecessary physical violence or deep frying (two main elements of Scottish culture, not as many as hip hop).

Yes

1 Like

Potentially relationship saving tip: differentiate between the right lane and the correct lane when talking to your partner.

2 Likes

I haven’t dared drive in the Netherlands, with the trams, the bikeways and things like that it just looks so confusing if you’re not familiar with the system. The fact is that bikeways have priority over cars in places that you wouldn’t expect, and as a cyclist I find this confusing enough ending up waiting for cars when it’s my right of way, but as a driver I’d be worried about getting it wrong and running someone over. Also, cyclists, scooters and mopeds seem to do whatever they want in whatever direction they want (particularly in Amsterdam).

2 Likes

Had a similar problem and hit a rock causing a puncture. If you get full insurance cover I found it gave me a bit more confidence as I wasn’t concentrating/worrying about smaller knocks giving me more time to worry about the dangerous stuff

1 Like

i really want to see an after pick of this to see how much of it you got through

was surprised how quickly I got used to it.

Found driving in both France and Denmark (the only other two European countries I’ve driven in) much, much nicer than driving in the UK.

edit: apart from nearly bursting into tears in odense

3 Likes

Driving on the right in a right hand drive car is only tricky when overtaking (but if you have a trustworthy passenger it makes it easier, either that or just stay behind the tractor for your entire journey, you’ll be late but in one piece!) and pulling out of junctions on a quiet road (just use the mantra of “stay on the right stay on the right”)

1 Like

Imagine if we lived in a world where we had all decided to drive on the same side.

2 Likes

No.

Ahhh this puts me off. The plan would be to drive my son to uni and then drive to Amsterdam the following day. Maybe I’ll just fly this time and book a week in France later in the year to practice driving on the right.

We can’t all be dreamers

Don’t just take my word for it though, I’m not a very good driver in general, so it might just be me. Also, maybe it’s not as bas as it seems in my imagination, I’m just basing this on fear.

1 Like

Oh, actually I have driven in the Netherlands too, come to think of it.

Was really nice too, apart from when I got lost in Leiden and ended up going down a tramway or something for a bit.

3 Likes

Very clear, consistent road signs in Holland. Good surfaces too. Well done, the dutch.

3 Likes

they let mopeds drive on cycle ways though. Why is this?

Why are they called mopeds? More… feet?

Easier if you get an automatic. Must remember that roundabouts go the other way and that when you come out of the roundabout you don’t veer to the left.

1 Like

I don’t know, but it drives me crazy and I think it’s a terrible thing.

2 Likes

Dogging in Enfield