Drowned in Sound launched 19 years ago today

Thank you everyone for being supportive and continuing to make these forums the best outpost on the web.

The forums are busier than ever and I’m currently pondering how to bring the editorial side of things back our 20th anniversary next year. Ideas welcomed.

Here’s where my head is at Recommending music in a time of algorithms | by Drowned in Sound | Drowned in Sound | Medium

Also thinking about an in-depth podcast series if I can find funding for it. Be great to live on as a podcast as we kinda got in there early with our pod back in 2006.

Here’s a classic screen grab I’ve shared on Twitter. https://twitter.com/seaninsound/status/1178997074827841542?s=21

Thanks again.
Sean
Ps if you’ve been meaning to make a one off donation or set up a monthly sub to help cover the cost of these forums, here’s the link https://bit.ly/2qrFI65

38 Likes

Not of the 21st century tho

But seriously much love to DiS and the community youve created here

I know I asked this recently, but would there be any way for you to do a small run of badges/tees/mugs with the new or old DiS logo on them, or similar ideas? I bet they’d be pretty popular, as another funding stream/to sate my capitalistic desires

3 Likes

Still got my DiS mug at home m8

4 Likes

I fear sean has been burned by this before…

2 Likes

:heart_eyes:

29 Likes

mad that guntrip has been changing all of our lives for almost two decades

11 Likes

classic Guntrip, thinking Toronto is in the US

44 Likes

They were available for ages and we sold about 3.

2 Likes

Happy Birthday Drown In Sound.

Think I found your site in around 2003 whilst I was looking for downloads. If my memory is correct there was either a free daily (or weekly) song download. Found some great bands from this alone.

Then I lurked on the forums, then started posting in around 2006, although I can’t remember my username back then.

Thank you, Sean. I fucking love you, man, and everything you have created here.

3 Likes

Can this be POTW???

4 Likes

Fair play then, I just missed them/was too poor then but I get it’s not worth the gamble

Not worth pinning your hopes on

my incredibly perceptive takeaway from this is that i can’t believe the 10th anniversary was 9 years ago

1 Like

Incorrect. He was suggesting “look[ing] into Toronto” with powerful binoculars from Roosevelt Beach, NY.

2 Likes

I’ve been hoogied

2 Likes

The website itself is now old enough to get an unfulfilling office job.

21 Likes

Wow, when DiS started 9/11 hadn’t even been born!

2 Likes

If I were to try and list all the things I’m grateful to DiS for, I’d be here all day and it would be long, boring post. So I’ll just say it’s shit for cunts and go about my day.

:heart:

6 Likes

Waiting for my Dieter Brumner and Michael Haneke (or whatever they were called) book royalties to start coming through any day now.