Drowned in Sound launched 19 years ago today

Nowhere else I’d rather waste my time/complain about being tired/hit on strangers/send my typos out into the world.

Honestly, I love you lot.

8 Likes

Just bring back Recommended Records wouldn’t have found that Self Esteem record and I bloody love that thing.

3 Likes

How dare you!!!
(2004 lurker, started posting early 2005)

2 Likes

Signed up in 2008, lurking/occasionally posting until early last year when I signed back up in this incarnation. You’re all fucking great and this place has been a very important and significant help to me in many ways.

5 Likes

That’s lovely to hear. I kinda feel like that section was meaningful for lesser known things and we saw traffic spikes for records in there.

They’re all here if you wanna browse http://drownedinsound.com/lists/recommended-records

3 Likes

Here’s to anothrr 19 years of vibing and keeping it tight

5 Likes

I have gotten loads out of that page down the years. I should go back at some point and have listen to ones that I haven’t listened, I’ve just got to page 7 and I think Efterklang - Piramida is the 1st one I have never heard of.

1 Like

Realisation in 19 years I will be 51

3 Likes

That’s a fair lick. Pausing notwithstanding I must’ve started almost six years ago which is mind boggling in and of itself. Time eh

2 Likes

Cheers DiS

13 Likes

I nearly signed up in 2008, when I was reading a thread about a pub quiz and realised I’d also been at the quiz. Only took me 11 years to get round to it

4 Likes

Happy birthday!

I joined old DiS in 2006. It was an article about the best 66 best records - this one in fact - of the first six years of DiS’ existence that got me into it. No idea how I found that article but it was pretty important to me (got me into ISIS - Panopticon (#2) and that was my gateway drug to other heavy type bands).

I had a very miserable 2007/8 and abandoned the boards for a while, then lurked, then came back some years later. Really glad I did. Have had brilliant recommendations, great chats, and finally got to meat some of the fine folks of DiS this summer IRL for the first time.

I think the most important thing to me is that often I feel I have very little in common with the people I work with, politically, musically , in terms of sense of humour there are only a handful that I really operate on the same sort of level as but on here I feel that there is always someone who gets what I’m on about and I get what you guys are about. Unless it’s about putting peanut butter on cheese on toast. Will never understand those people.

2 Likes

Wish I’d gone to meats sooner, met more of the OG glasgow crew or got down to some of the ATPs, but still been the best internet thing I’ve been a part of.

1 Like

I find that Dis is a very special and supportive place, full of wonderful people who frequently show real, true care for each other. I think that as a community it constantly seeks to improve and grow, and it’s a real credit to everyone involved. It’s also basically my whole social life, so it’s valuable to me in that way too!

In conclusion, your website is helping me a lot.

This is a weird post, but you guys are aces

4 Likes