Drowned In Sound’s best books of the 21st century - RESULTS (post 261)!

Did you ever read the next book he did? I can’t remember what it was called but my wife got me a copy when she was working at Penguin and good lord it was one of the worst things I’ve ever read

Edit: remembered. It’s called Artemis

Haha! You’re not wrong there, mate x

I’ve read one book in this list (Just Kids), it made my top 2, and I am disappointed to see it didn’t make the DiS top 20, as it is brilliant.

Ah Persepolis, forgot about that. Would really highly recommend Joe Sacco’s graphic novels if you’re interested in really emotive, beautiful art based in middle eastern politics. His are more investigative documentaries though. This book is utterly brilliant:

8 Likes

Just googled that. The front cover is almost exactly the same as The Martians. Weird.

1 Like

22. My Struggle by Karl Ove Knausgård

Score: 39
Nominations: 2

There is no doubt that My Struggle has been bought at a price, both for the author and his loved ones, but for the reader, there is the thrill of confronting a passionate writer who is prepared to take such risks, to try to show his face as it is, rather than as he wishes it were.

~Hari Kunzru

GoodReads: 4.08
The Guardian: Did Not Place

2 Likes

He tries to write from the POV of a teenage girl, and it becomes quickly apparent he has no idea how to do that

I’m so sad that no one else voted for Circe (I don’t think) because its omission completely invalidates this entire list I’m afraid. NULL AND VOID.

nah. how are you meant to live on jupiter? stupid book

1 Like

Really good stuff

4 Likes

D’you pit there?

(Please ignore this post)

Wow.

1 Like

No Country About Old Men

2 Likes

I forgot to vote in this, but it’s good to see The People’s Act Of Love in there.

Incredible book.

1 Like

21. House of Leaves by Mark Z Danielewski

Score: 41
Nominations: 3

Danielewski’s eccentric and sometimes brilliant debut novel is really two novels, hooked together by the Nabokovian trick of running one narrative in footnotes to the other.

~Robert Kelly

GoodReads: 4.11
The Guardian: Did Not Place

1 Like

read 3 of these so far I think, pretty sure I’ve read a fair amount of stuff from this century, but what??!

(Perdido Street Station, Jimmy Corrigan and House of Leaves are the 3)

Oh yeah, bought this recently… it looks intimidating

I’ve tried to read it twice and failed. I WILL read it this year.

Edit: it’s October already. I WILL read it next year.

1 Like

What made you fail the first two times?

always a bold title choice, this

8 Likes