Drowned in Sound’s record label returns

Hello everybody [/Dr Nick Riviera voice]

20 years since its first release, the Drowned in Sound singles club is back.

If you weren’t aware of the original singles club (as we didn’t always do a great job of promoting it on the site…) it was something I started because some of the new acts we were championing on the site and at our live nights / festival bills, didn’t have new releases out, which made it hard to write about them. And I loved the Fierce Panda, Sub Pop and Shifty Disco singles clubs. It also seemed like the best way to start a record label.

The first run of the club released Emmy the Great, Blood Red Shoes, Metric (including that MSTRKRFT remix), Bat for Lashes, Youthmovies, Redjetson, thisGIRL, Komakino, Les Incompetents, Adam Gnade, Brett Anderson, Martha Wainwright, The Stills, Jeniferever and Kaiser Chiefs. There’s a Spotify playlist of it all here.

Over the last few years, I’ve found myself discovering various artists and really wanting to get involved in helping their music reach more people.

I’ve also been thinking about what to use the legacy and name recognition of DiS, which was getting 2-3m visitors a year until recent times.

All roads led back to the singles club, and I’ve lined up monthly releases until the summer and will eventually compile them all on a compilation. Will share details of how people can submit for consideration soon.

Am thinking about this as a “slow compilation” like a covermount attached to a DiS “audio publication” which currently is a podcast but I’m going to experiment with that over coming months. I’m also looking at creating something that brings these things together a little more too.

All that said, the very first release was distributed to all the streaming services (and will be on Bandcamp soon). It’s the debut release by The Faux Faux which is Faith Vern from DiS-favourites PINS and it sounds like this

If you’re into it, please add it to your playlists

Lemme know if you have any questions about the new label

30 Likes

And here’s the music video, which the director used 500ft of film to shoot

2 Likes

The release is now on Bandcamp if you’d like to support our law and grab the high quality wav

Like this. Saw Pins loads when they were active, as well as Machiine once with the Brown Brogues guy, always really enjoyed. Good to hear from Faith again.

1 Like

Thank you for listening.

Any other DISsers given it a spin yet?

Have popped up a special version of the podcast using Spotify’s new Music + Talk feature, meaning the track plays at the end. Might experiment with this a little move over coming months.

Bought on Bandcamp, hoping the label is a big success!

Listened to the song once and it was good… need to try a few more time to get into it.

1 Like

Thanks so much. Really appreciate it.