Drowned in Sound's Albums of the Year 2016 - DiScussion Thread

That’s a lot of people getting it wrong…

2 Likes

List is compiled. Coding it all up now. Publishing it in a bit.

Here it is: Drowned in Sound's 16 Favourite Albums of 2016 / In Depth // Drowned In Sound

Quite a boring list IMHO but I respect your decisions and appreciate this website and community.

1 Like

What would you have preferred to have seen in there?

I wouldn’t prefer anything tbh Sean as then it would be my list as opposed to this website’s. I’m probably not representive of the kind of clientelle that would be reading this list normally though I just didn’t see much there that I haven’t seen in most other similar websites.

My list is here fwiw and I am finding it odd how overlooked Noname seems to have been this year from a lot of publications not just here: The forum album of the year discussion thread - #3 by anon5266188

1 Like

Cringing at Bowie being at the top of lists. I can ALMOST see why someone would give it an 8 (Andre’s score) if they were considering his legacy and the fact it is slightly innovative, and if they were feeling generous, but it’s really weird that people are pretending it’s one of the best of the year just because he passed away.

2 Likes

That record was one one of our staff’s lists and I hadn’t heard ‘of’ it so will investigate henceforth.

I’m not pretending, pal.

Honestly think it is a masterpiece. And it has got me on a voyage into jazz.

It’s really brilliant, I know you’re not hugely into hip-hop but I think you’ll find something to take from it for sure. I was legit expecting to see it high up in a lot of lists this year as it’s got the added benefit of fitting some very relevant and zeitgeisty “narratives” as well (which is way more a reductive sentence than I want it to be) but I’ve not seen it in many so far.

1 Like

It was getting raves before his death.

@anon5266188 have you heard the new Rapsody release, Crown? Best MC around right now for my money and suspect it may be up your street.

Yeah, I’ve given it a once through and enjoyed it. I suspect I might like her as a guest spot artist more than an album in her own right artist (same as I feel with Danny Brown tbh) but I’ll definitely go back to it.

Fair dos - think that’s how I feel about yer manderson .Paak. Pretty obsessed with her at the moment.

1 Like

Ironically I can’t think of a Paak guest spot that I’ve enjoyed that much tbh!

Disappointed not to see The Kills up there

Me too. Was on my personal list though https://www.facebook.com/seaninsound/posts/10154570170146113

1 Like

As said above, respect you guys opinions, but a really really boring list.

Jeez, jord, I never knew how much you HATE dead people.

Totally agree. Wouldn’t even get into my top 25 Bowie albums. And I was really sad when he died, as well.