Drowned in Sound's albums of the year 2017 - commentary and conjecture

albums
music

Speaking of Broadcast. I hope you all know that James Cargill and Roj Stevens of Broadcast have put out a new album this year along with Julian House of The Focus Group. They called themselves and their album Children Of Alice (as a tribute to Trish):

I like the album very much. It’s a logical evolution of what they were doing on Investigate Witch Cults.

sorry to mess with the list, but yeah it really is a fuzzy beauty.

Also chiming in to say this is fantastic. What a great surprise today.

Man, I’ve been so outta the loop for new stuff this year. I’m trying to desperately catch up on a load of stuff I missed. But there’s so much. Seems like loads of my favourites released an album but I only thought they were good, rather than excellent.

Completely agree on:

(as above) Ben Frost
Oh Sees

thought I’d LOVE them…

Will add the new Oh Sees and Ben Frost to my list. Haven’t listened to either for ages. Was excited about the prospect of new John Maus, Ariel Pink, Dean Blunt/Joanne Robertson, William Basinski, Forest Swords - but haven’t been bowled over.

Some greats I’ve discovered or returned to (and now realise are great) after reading folks top picks and AOTY lists

EMA - Exhile In The Outer Ring
Returned to this and what can I say… if I could edit my AOTY list this would definitely feature. Just amazing, ticks all my boxes

Jane Weaver - Modern Kosmology
Meant to check this out after the Neptune awards but only got round to it recently. Very inventive, lovely textures and deft touches all over it. Production on point also

Sannhet - Numb
One to get completely lost in - sublime. Potentially a benchmark album for post-rock / post-metal / whatevs

SZA - Ctrl
Late to the party on this one too. There’s so much good things going on here, I’ve barely even scratched the surface

Madonnatron - Madonnatron
Reminds me of latter days The Icarus Line - nuff said

Spelt Exile wrong avent I

Been a pretty reasonable year. Struggling, for what seems the first time in years, to narrow down the top 5.

1 and 2, and possibly 3, are fairly well set, but there’s a bunch of albums vying for the 4th and 5th spots.

Probably A Crow Looked At Me, followed by the FJM album, followed by a bunch of diy records, followed by maybe Alvvays

1. LCD Soundsystem – American Dream
  2. The War On Drugs – A Deeper Understanding
  3. Julie Byrne – Not Even Happiness
  4. Four Tet – New Energy
  5. Protomartyr – Relatives In Descent

I decided on my 1-5 largely based on listening frequency. Not sure I’d make any changes in retrospect but a few standouts that didn’t make my top 5. Absolutely love all 5 of the above.

Like many others, I didn’t consider Mt Eerie, an album I have been in awe of.

Aldous Harding - Been listening to this album a lot the last few days & it really is wonderful. Genuinely goosebump inducing.

Spoon - Not their best album, but another really enjoyable Spoon album = a great album

Liars - surprised at lack of love for this. Think this was a big improvement on Mess

Nick Hoppner - This was my favourite electronic album of the year, real gem.

Mogwai - Their best in a long time, their soundtrack work bled into this with some lovely results.

Kelly Lee Owens - Cracking record, just dead cool.

I’ve recently discovered Brainwaltzera - Poly-ana

One of the best things I’ve heard this year and possibly Aphex Twin under an alias!

Aye this was in my top 20. Didn’t want to clog up the thread with too long a list though. Mogwai up there too

sometimes?

Oh Sees album this year was very good really but compared to their albums from last year and the year before it’s definitely not as consistent

1. Richard Dawson - Peasant

Full band folk rock is my least favourite type of folk. Dawson’s reinvented the form here in his clattering quirky way.

1. Guided By Voices - August By Cake

Surprised people don’t dig this more. The album I’ve gone back to most this year.

1. dtub - MIDI-Drum Compositions-2

Payne’s most diverse and exciting set yet.

1. Height Keech - Mind Moves The Mountain

Life affirming raps over psych-rock beats.

1. Karen Gwyer - Rembo

Gwyer goes quite house-y and straight up with her beats, but in a really interesting way.

…found it tough this year. Loads of expectation albums didn’t satisfy. All of the above pleasantly surprised me and seemed to push on on their own paths.

all these threads is getting confusing

^this

surely we only need a poll thread and one discussion/commentary thread

MODS! links and shut downs please

it’s because this one was specifically to do with DiS’s published poll but that’s kinda served its purpose now

Ah that makes sense. I was just dumping all thoughts about end of year lists and discoveries from the users poll in here