Drowned in Sound's albums of the year 2017 - commentary and conjecture

This has been one of my favourite discoveries so far from these AOTY lists along with Flat Worms and Angelo De Augustine.

I think you originally recommended it to me on one of the new album release day threads! :slight_smile:
Will definitely check Bola & Onsy out, neither of which I’ve heard

Did really LOVE much this year tbh.

Pure Comedy is probably my favourite 2017 album by miles.

Based on the first 14 hours of feedback from our team and the community on here and on social media, here’s the new top 20… this isn’t like Trump’s u-turn on Elephant hunting, but it will keep changing until the dust settles…

1. Wolf Alice - Visions of Life
  2. Kelly Lee Owens - Kelly Lee Owens
  3. EMA - Exile in the Outer Ring
  4. St Vincent - MASSEDUCTION
  5. Noveller - A Pink Sunset For No One
  6. Austra - Future Politics
  7. Feist - Pleasure
  8. Jane Weaver - Modern Cosmology
  9. Laura Marling - Semper Femina
  10. Juana Molina - Halo
  11. Soulwax - From Deewee
  12. Thundercat - Drunk
  13. Paramore - After Laughter
  14. SZA - Ctrl :new:
  15. Bjork - Utopia
  16. Mogwai - Every Country’s Sun
  17. Zola Jesus - Okovi
  18. Kendrick Lamar - DAMN.
  19. Protomartyr - Relatives in Descent
  20. Julie Byrne - Not Even Happiness :new:

Please keep your feedback coming in and keep celebrating the records you love (I’m not paying much attention to negativity, just celebrate what you love and say why!). Have a feeling SZA could end up at number 1 based on the ferocity of the love for it. Just revisiting now and it really is an extraordinary album.

Yeah, I’m quite happy to retract that sentiment. It was hypothetical reaction to people not getting anything musically from the album…when it comes to other reasons why you may veer away from it (as in @woweezowee’s case) that’s totally understandable.

Hoorah - Julie Byrne!!!

Boring year for new music

Wow, so this is delacratic…

I just had a look on last.fm to see what I’ve listened to this year. Anyone want to consider these? :slight_smile:

Ibibio Sound Machine — Uyai
Snapped Ankles — Come Play The Trees
Sinkane — Life & Livin’ It
Sacred Paws - Strike a Match (Scottish Album of the Year!)
The Octopus Project - Memory Mirror
Kevin Morby - City Music
WHITE - One Night Stand Forever
Yorkston / Thorne / Khan - Neuk Wight Delhi All-Stars
Sweet Baboo - Wild Imagination
Moon Duo - Occult Architecture Vol.1 and 2
Shobaleader One - Elektrac
Catholic Action - In Memory Of

Sinkane is certainly one of my favourites of the year, although I haven’t compiled a definitive list yet.

too right - it’s fucking great

That Austra album is fantastic.

Yes. It’s basically saying that there are (on average) two albums released every week that are going to be BOTY worthy. That seems optimistic to me.

People should be making more fuss over the Eyre Llew album.
It’s amazing.

Where’s Dom Gourlay?!

There were some great synth-based albums out this year too. Just thought I’d add a few of these to the list as they were great, but flew under radars, etc:

Quick guide:
Fife = Tangerine Dream expanse over dystopian future wastelands
Pentagram = John Carpenter broods over lo-fi bleakness
Holden = Freewheeling synth-jazz meets 60s prog
Begg = Industrial melancholy

^This to Los Campesinos.

My AOTY, but I was expecting to be the only person to rate it.

Yep, we need to watch our backs around here. Once the killing squads are done with the bike nerds, the LC fans will be next, you mark my words

So long as I get to see some cyclists lined up against the wall before I go…

Just listening to the Pentagram album - great stuff. Thanks!

Yeah, that’s all a fair point and the main reason I posted was to say that I enjoyed your take on what made it a special record even though it’s one I’m unlikely to ever investigate further. I only heard and Mount Eerie for the first time this year (thanks to the DiS mixtape exchange) and very much enjoyed them, so I have plenty of Phil & Co to discover yet without feeling like I’m missing out.

I initially avoided Blackstar and Skeleton Tree for similar reasons, but they’re musically more immediate and lyrically more abstract, so when I did come to take the plunge I found them more digestible.