Drowned In Sounds best Videogames of the 21st century - VOTE! (closes 9am Mon 28th October)

Hi guys. The fourth in a not so new and disastrous series shamelessly stolen from the Guardian, as per DrownedInSound’s Best Things of the 21st Century! .

Results so far

I think someone asked about games, so lets do those this week

How it works:

• You rank the best 2, 5, 10 or 20 (or whatever number it seems) Videogames of this century so far in order.
  • Post them in here or DM them to me by 9am next Monday
  • Please don’t abbreviate the titles.
  • I’ll do some mathematical gubbins and produce the definitive DiS best Videogames of this century!

Rules:

• For the purposes of these lists, the year 2000 is included in the 21st century. Yes, I know it’s not technically correct, no I don’t care that it’s making your eye twitch.
  • For a game to qualify, it should have originally been released in the UK market on or after 1st January 2000.
  • Remasters on new consoles don’t count as new releases - the original release date counts. This means no Ocarina of Time despite the 3DS remaster.
  • Where you’re nominating something from a regular franchise, please try and pick an individual game (e.g. FIFA 18, not simply FIFA).
  • I reserve the right to make utterly arbitrary decisions over whether a game qualifies or to group what you’ve listed mainly on the basis of what I think will irritate the most people.

Go!

1 Like

I enjoy playing and talking about video games and look forward to participating in this thread

It’s going to be hard to narrow it down to a specific edition of CM/FM

2 Likes

I hate playing and talking about video games and will be posting 100+ responses in this thread

6 Likes

Right, I’m gonna be the idiot who posts a list early and spends the rest of the day ruing all the games I forgot. You can’t stop me.

1. Dark Souls
  2. Ninja Gaiden Black
  3. Portal
  4. Arkham Asylum
  5. The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask
  6. Battlefield: Bad Company 2
  7. Fallout: New Vegas
  8. Street Fighter IV
  9. Rocket League
  10. Knights of the Old Republic
  11. Tony Hawks Pro Skater 4
  12. Pro Evolution Soccer 5
  13. Monster Hunter: World
  14. Left 4 Dead
  15. Hotline Miami
  16. Eternal Darkness
  17. Resident Evil 4
  18. Halo: Combat Evolved
  19. Kentucky Route Zero
  20. Hollow Knight

I’ve only picked one game per series because I like arbitrary rules and unfortunately I couldn’t settle on one Champ Man game so ended up leaving it out altogether. Sorry.

Now let the regretting commence!

5 Likes

:no_mouth:

1 Like

What I’m taking from this Ant is that Horse hates you with a passion.

2 Likes

that’s the curse of consistency I’m afraid. In terms of hours played it’s a combined no. 1 but I’ve no idea which one was best. It think it’s ultimately the people’s champ if that helps?

1 Like

I haven’t played that many games in the 21st century - a few games passionately at uni and just before, then none until this year when I got a Switch. So I’ll keep this nice and tight (unless other people remind me of stuff).

1.The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2. Celeste
3. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
4. Mario Kart Double Dash
5. Timesplitters 2

1 Like

So fun

4 Likes

Me, my brother and cousin would play death matches for hours on end.

1 Like

Lol my top 2 are both gonna be from 2000

1. Hollow Knight
  2. Zelda: Breath Of The Wild
  3. Mario Galaxy 2
  4. Slay The Spire
  5. Minecraft
  6. Spelunky
  7. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
  8. Inside
  9. The Pinball Arcade
  10. Rocket League
  11. Lumines
  12. Cook, Serve, Delicious
  13. Fallout 3
  14. Divinity Original Sin
  15. Xenoblade Chronicles
  16. Fable 2
  17. Prey
  18. Shovel Knight
  19. Rayman Legends
  20. Diablo 2
4 Likes

[checks launch date of Beehive Bedlam]
[ :frowning: ]

1. The Sims 3
  2. Super Smash Bros Melee
  3. Championship Manager 00/01
  4. Guitar Hero 3
  5. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 02/03
  6. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
  7. Simpsons Hit and Run
  8. The Sims 2
  9. Super Monkey Ball
  10. Pacman World 2

I’m really tempted to troll by listing a bunch of Neopets games but I am not going to do that. Can you tell I mostly played video games in 2002/03 on the GameCube?

2 Likes

Also, Super Smash Bros Melee is fucking brilliant and Marth is my computer animated boyfriend.

2 Likes

Oh this reminds me, @anon76851889 please add Rock Band to my list.

1 Like

I’m shite at Call of Duty but I quite enjoyed it as a shit player. Snipers are cowards, there’s nothing more adrenaline-inducingly kamikaze than running right into the thick of it spraying bullets out of your M249 Saw. What a time to be alive!!

1. Morrowind
  2. Fallout: New Vegas
  3. Portal
  4. Team Fortress 2
  5. Half Life 2
  6. Witcher 3
  7. Mass Effect 2
  8. Deus Ex
  9. Undertale
  10. FTL
  11. Kentucky Route Zero
  12. Jedi Knight 2
  13. Stellaris
  14. GTA San Andreas
  15. Prey
  16. Spelunkey
  17. XCom 2
  18. Subnautica
  19. Slay the Spire
  20. KOTOR 2
4 Likes

KOTOR 2 over KOTOR? :thinking:

Note: I reckon Disco Elysium would be high up on here if it had been released last year, but I don’t feel right ranking a game I haven’t finished yet.