Hi guys. The fourth in a not so new and disastrous series shamelessly stolen from the Guardian, as per DrownedInSound’s Best Things of the 21st Century! .
Results so far
I think someone asked about games, so lets do those this week
How it works:
- You rank the best 2, 5, 10 or 20 (or whatever number it seems) Videogames of this century so far in order.
- Post them in here or DM them to me by 9am next Monday
- Please don’t abbreviate the titles.
- I’ll do some mathematical gubbins and produce the definitive DiS best Videogames of this century!
- For the purposes of these lists, the year 2000 is included in the 21st century. Yes, I know it’s not technically correct, no I don’t care that it’s making your eye twitch.
- For a game to qualify, it should have originally been released in the UK market on or after 1st January 2000.
- Remasters on new consoles don’t count as new releases - the original release date counts. This means no Ocarina of Time despite the 3DS remaster.
- Where you’re nominating something from a regular franchise, please try and pick an individual game (e.g. FIFA 18, not simply FIFA).
- I reserve the right to make utterly arbitrary decisions over whether a game qualifies or to group what you’ve listed mainly on the basis of what I think will irritate the most people.
I enjoy playing and talking about video games and look forward to participating in this thread
It’s going to be hard to narrow it down to a specific edition of CM/FM
I hate playing and talking about video games and will be posting 100+ responses in this thread
Right, I’m gonna be the idiot who posts a list early and spends the rest of the day ruing all the games I forgot. You can’t stop me.
- Dark Souls
- Ninja Gaiden Black
- Arkham Asylum
- The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask
- Battlefield: Bad Company 2
- Fallout: New Vegas
- Street Fighter IV
- Rocket League
- Knights of the Old Republic
- Tony Hawks Pro Skater 4
- Pro Evolution Soccer 5
- Monster Hunter: World
- Left 4 Dead
- Hotline Miami
- Eternal Darkness
- Resident Evil 4
- Halo: Combat Evolved
- Kentucky Route Zero
- Hollow Knight
I’ve only picked one game per series because I like arbitrary rules and unfortunately I couldn’t settle on one Champ Man game so ended up leaving it out altogether. Sorry.
Now let the regretting commence!
What I’m taking from this Ant is that Horse hates you with a passion.
that’s the curse of consistency I’m afraid. In terms of hours played it’s a combined no. 1 but I’ve no idea which one was best. It think it’s ultimately the people’s champ if that helps?
I haven’t played that many games in the 21st century - a few games passionately at uni and just before, then none until this year when I got a Switch. So I’ll keep this nice and tight (unless other people remind me of stuff).
1.The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
3. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
4. Mario Kart Double Dash
5. Timesplitters 2
Me, my brother and cousin would play death matches for hours on end.
Lol my top 2 are both gonna be from 2000
[checks launch date of Beehive Bedlam]
- The Sims 3
- Super Smash Bros Melee
- Championship Manager 00/01
- Guitar Hero 3
- Tiger Woods PGA Tour 02/03
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
- Simpsons Hit and Run
- The Sims 2
- Super Monkey Ball
- Pacman World 2
I’m really tempted to troll by listing a bunch of Neopets games but I am not going to do that. Can you tell I mostly played video games in 2002/03 on the GameCube?
Also, Super Smash Bros Melee is fucking brilliant and Marth is my computer animated boyfriend.
Oh this reminds me, @anon76851889 please add Rock Band to my list.
I’m shite at Call of Duty but I quite enjoyed it as a shit player. Snipers are cowards, there’s nothing more adrenaline-inducingly kamikaze than running right into the thick of it spraying bullets out of your M249 Saw. What a time to be alive!!
Note: I reckon Disco Elysium would be high up on here if it had been released last year, but I don’t feel right ranking a game I haven’t finished yet.