Duolingo

Anyone doing Japanese or Danish?

Also, it seems to fill in the answers for me quite a bit, especially on the harder questions which are the ones I want to do. What’s that all about?

I dabbled with both but never really got into either.

I found Japanese really hard and never felt like I was actually absorbing any of the stuff I had learnt, would do some and then the next day not remember what any of the kanji (I think, might have got the wrong term) were so felt like I was just going round in circles.

for Danish I did better but struggled with the pronunciation of some things, think the ø was hard in bread (brød or brøt? I forget) - I did it in advance of going to Copenhagen and then stopped afterwards. would like to go back again as I really liked it, so maybe I’ll try again sometime in the future!

That’s good going if you got through hiragana and katakana and onto kanji. I started Duolingo having studied a fair amount of kanji using Anki. Can’t imagine Duo is great to use for learning kanji. If you go back to it, it really helped me to actually write it out on paper in order to remember it. Oh and learn the radicals.

Just started Danish and I’m finding it really fun (maybe cause the grammar is much more similar to English grammar than Japanese). My pronunciation is probably terrible though.

1 Like

ah oh, I did use the wrong term then on Japanese - must have been hiragana as I didn’t get far at all!

I was trying to write them down though as I learnt it - figured if I’m going to learn a new writing system then that might help - and I felt like at the time it was helping, but I only ever felt like I retained the knowledge for that session if that makes sense? like I used to do 30 mins of Duolingo on the train to work, so I’d do some lessons, write down stuff for Japanese and as I went I felt like I was getting it. next day it’d be like “what’s the hiragana for 1?” and I’d just be all :man_shrugging: so after doing that a few times I gave up.

1 Like

also being able to highlight words you’ve learnt and generate a glossary would be neat.
still think it’s good in general but more useful for relearning stuff you’ve forgotten than for learning new stuff

3 Likes

good when you get really bleak ones

6 Likes

Yeah I’ve used it to relearn some of my French from school and found it pretty good for that, but I’ve also used it to try and learn a bit more Irish as well, but I’ve forgotten a lot more of that over the years plus duolingo uses a different regional dialect than I learned at school, so I always end up giving up quite quickly. I’d put it down to being a harder language but it’s probably also just not the ideal tool for learning with less of a foundation to build on.

1 Like

I saw they now have a Hungarian course, and thought it would be nice to brush up on some stuff.

The Hungarian course is really, really bad. It doesn’t start off with basic vocab and simple sentence structures, it throws you straight into complicated situations with lots of pronouns and indirect objects. It’s like it was created by someone who has no idea how Hungarian is structured differently to European languages, and didn’t seem to think it needed explaining in any way.

3 Likes