Earliest sporting memories

I have vague memories of Hillsbrough but I’m not sure if my family were watching the match live or if I saw a news report. I just vague memories of seeing ambulances on a football pitch and thinking that something wasn’t right.

At some point in the late 80s I remember watching a football match with my dad. I remember writing about it at school the following Monday where we had ‘diary class’ where we had to write about we did at the weekend. I don’t remember who played, but the match finished 3-1.

I remember having a wall chart of Italia '90 on my bedroom wall and my dad waking me up every morning and writing the previous days scores. I remember thinking ‘South Korea are cool’ because I liked their flag the most. I was 7 so.

So the first match I remember watching in full was England’s exit from Euro '92. Can’t find the clip with the commentary, but I remember ‘Brolin… Dahlin… Brolin… Brilliant!’

1 Like

France 98 as we did the whole hog - panini stickers, cuddly toy mascot, those coins from the petrol station. Specifically it would be Argentina - England probably, remember being really sad when we lost to Romania but don’t remember anything from the game itself. Remember the final too.

Next thing would be United’s treble, then the Sydney Olympics (Redgrave, Thorpe & Freeman), stops being too patchy after that

The earliest football thing I can remember must have been around 91. It’s only a second or two long memory but it was Neil Webb kicking the ball in what I guess was a clearance. The ball went higher than the stadium (or probably just past the top of the camera frame) and I said I was a Man United fan for a couple of years after that because I was so impressed. Don’t think I watched another game for years but I started buying these from the Man United shop in town
Only I got them when they went on sale so they were always 6 months or so behind. I think that was my only exposure to football, so I’d only find out how seasons played out way later than it actually happened.

I also remember being aware of Italia 90 being on TV but don’t think I ever watched any. The first tournament I had any interest in and what ignited my interest properly was World Cup 94. Diana Ross, Ray Houghton scoring against Italy, John Aldridge on the sidelines, the name “Dunga”, Brazil being spoken of in mythical terms and the shock that one of these Gods, Leonardo, could be sent off, Baggio’s rat tail, Jorge Campos all stuck with me and have never left.

1 Like

Oldham v Notts Forest League Cup Final 1990. I remember that entire weekend and is probably my consistent earliest memory of anything. Remember being in Crete during Italia 90 and the elation me Dad had the day after Belgium.

@Roughyed - Must resist urge, sorry can’t - it’s Nottm Forest, not Notts!.

My first memories of football are seeing Lineker’s goals at Mexico 86 & watching the Hand of God game. I went to my first Forest game vs Luton later that year (Neil Webb scored & became my first favourite player) and I’ve had a season ticket from the 87-88 season to date.

I went to all the Wembley finals we made in the late 80’s/early 90’s, including the Oldham one. Sadly I was also at Hillsborough too, a tragic day which I’ll never forget.

1 Like

1985 fa cup final

Football:
World Cup in 86 I was 1yo, and there must have been a moment where a commentator on TV had done the typical South American commentator thing of saying ARGENTINA in a really long drawn out way that caused my dad to say it in front of me a lot. Apparently on a family holiday that summer I slammed my hands on the lunch table and belted out AAAAAARGENTIIIIIIIIIIIINAAAAAA which my dad claims was my first word*

More realistically, it was probably getting a small Italia 90 football from McDonalds 4 years after that.

(*probably not my first word)

2 Likes

I was at the winter olympics in 1994 :skier::1st_place_medal:

2 Likes

You’re all ridiculously young!
Mine was the 1978 World Cup and being amazed at the ticker tape and feeling confused as to why a Scottish footballer had to come home early.