Earthtone9

Completely missed them at the time…idiot. I found the Off-Kilter Enhancement album in a charity shop and as if by magic they released a download-for-free best of a week later and that’s when I got into them.

There seemed to be quite a few British rock bands of the late 90s / 00s who didn’t get enough recognition - Hundred Reasons and Hell Is For Heroes faded fast after promising debuts, Hondo Maclean ended up as spare parts for Funeral For A Friend, Tubelord and the Math-Rock scene went nowhere, Reuben managed to dodge fame and fortune, Frank Turner outgrew Million Dead, Fightstar never outgrew Charlie Simpson…neither did his brother’s band Brigade (Come Morning We Fight is massively overlooked). I guess it was lean times for all the gap-year indie bands too.

Poor mans Taproot

2 Likes

They played the very first gig I went to when I was fourteen! Played quite regularly in my town too. So they have a massive place reserved in my heart. Kids Near Water were another one of the first bands I saw (at an all-dayer I believe) and they blew me away so I’ll always look on them fondly as well.

I saw Kids Near Water supporting Hundred Reasons in 2002 I think. I had a copy of their first(?) EP.

Haha yeah I got that ep as well! The albums are still very decent, especially the first one.

Earthtone9 are absolutely awesome. It’s odd, but I found out about them and got into them after they reformed. The EP and album after they reformed is really good and well worth checking out, if you don’t have them already. They’re actually touring again by supporting Pitchshifter in November

1 Like

Ah nuts! None of those dates with Pitchshifter are anywhere near me :cry: Would definitely have been a leave straight after the support one though, Pitchshifter did nothing for me back then so very much doubt they would now.

Going to give IV and For Cause & Consequence a listen today :metal:

I’m gonna go to the one in Bristol, but like you, I’m probably gonna leave when Earthtone9 are done, as I’m not into Pitchshifter either