Easy reads (book thread spin-off)

maybe the non racist agatha christies

I am making note of all of these suggestions and am very grateful for all of them, Lonzo.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kindly-Ones-Jonathan-Littell/dp/0099513145/

you’re really going to attempt to read James Patterson (and co.)?

If you want an easy read of substance that you can just dip in and out of, why not go for shorter fiction?

Because they’re largely in the public domain, you can pick up the complete works of Edgar Allan Poe for very little. I’m recommending him not just because he’s amazing (and he is), but also because you mentioned upthread that you like crime/thriller. With The Murders in the Rue Morgue, Poe basically invented the detective story. So if nothing else, this you can see where your favourite genre began.

But beyond that, he has adventure stories, poetic meditations on life and death (mainly death), some of the most suspenseful fiction ever written, and in The Fall of the House of Usher, my pick for the single greatest short story of all time.

Already read Poe? Never mind. Never more.

Yeah, Hiaasen’s adult stuff is a joy to read.

Ha, I have already read a lot of Poe, I’m thinking I want way dumber than that. Crime thrillers aren’t my favourite books by any stretch, I’ve barely read any, which is why I’m keen to get stuck in based on occasional holiday reading in the past.

1 Like

I actually saw this in a second hand bookshop a while ago and thought of you.

Maybe? A lot of people like it, must be something to it.

Get Stewart Lee’s Content Provider, it’s great and funny but it’s just a collection of his articles, doesn’t really get easier than that.

don’t care as much for most of his articles but how i escaped my certain fate is my go to comfort read

Yeah mate, Brown, Saramago and Dick Francis are the big three in easy reading at the moment.

I should have expected this from the beginning.

^

Yep, reading Rivers of London at the moment.

Some of the FACKIN COCKNEY COPPER AINT I stuff does me nut in a bit, but pretty enjoyable to read nonetheless.

The girl with the dragon tattoo is pretty good too: trilogy gradually gets stupider/worse though.

if you insist

he is kind of interesting because of the way he ‘writes’ his books I guess

Thomas Browne’s my no 1 comfort read