EBM / Industrial Techno / whatever

Nice little primer on some resurrections of that classic late-80s/early-90s sound.

Just been bumping the Multiple Man album and it’s bloomin’ brilliant. Got that Front 242 / Front Line Assembly aesthetic, but with 2017 production values.

What’s worth checking out in this vein from recent years? Never felt that the recent Skinny Puppy releases were a patch on their earlier work.

You heard the new Contort Yourself compilation?

I have not, but I am enjoying the discordant feel of the video you posted

This looks good. I’ll pass it on to a good friend of mine. All my knowledge of industrial comes from him. It’s easy to spot him at gigs, he’s dressed in beige taking a break from an internal auditors conference. He has strong opinions on the scene. That only real men listen to FLA/F242/SkinnyPuppy. NIN is fine if you are a bedwetter. Suspicious of fake fans who discover the harder stuff via The Prodigy and NIN. However, Depeche Mode as a gateway band is acceptable.

it’s weird how so little of the mentality of that scene has changed since the early/mid-90s. Nice to see the Skinny Puppy and FLA sides have since reconciled at least…

:joy:

This was basically what one of the Skinny Puppy fellas themselves said, right? I mean, I fucking love NIN. They just kinda stopped being EBM not long after Pretty Hate Machine really.

Also love the idea of PROPER MEN listening to something like Felines thinking they’re really hardcore.

Yeah, this masculinity stuff can be complicated. Though the rules are simple for him. If he likes it, then it’s macho. If not, it’s effete.

Love it. Especially the borderline cheesy stuff (Cubanate, baby — Cubanate!).

Never really managed to track down anything recent and decent. Some stuff that has hints of EBM/Darkwave — some bits of The KVB, maybe Factory Floor, or The Soft Moon (cold wave?) — but nothing like F242 or FLA.

Enjoying this Schwefelgelb album from the bandcamp playlist, though. Thanks! Looking forward to making my way through the whole list.

it’s good!

I think the closest I’ve come to this kind of thing is D.A.F. and Pyrolator. not quite full on techno, yet, but getting there? curious about the 80s stuff, definitely.

Always loved Snog.

DAF are amazing

Went on a bit of an industrial music binge yesterday off the back of this

Turns out this year’s Ministry album is pretty good. Railing against Trump and also the socio-political climate that allowed him to rise in the first place. Kinda love that Ministry sound like they do but are basically lefties.

Conversely, the latest Front Line Assembly album is real generic EBM veering into EDM…

Any hot picks for 2018 in this vein?

Love Ministry but been a bit scared to listen to the new stuff. Will check it out!

It’s quite restrained by their standards (I mean, still intensely aggressive by normal standards but it’s all relative!). Some banging riffs, and beats are less blast-beat oriented than some releases.

Havent heard them since the last sucker (which was good!). Had no idea they were still churning them out tbh

Been enjoying Nomadic War Machine, kind of Industrial Techno.

And Ruinizer, who are supporting Cubanate this weekend. Huge stompy, aggressive industrial stuff.

Totally agree with you about the new FLA album. Dodgy EDM for most of it :confused:

Sweet - will check these out

Always liked Matthew Dear’s EBM-esque stuff, particularly this:

Maybe start with the first Nomadic album…