Ed O'Brien signature Strat

I’m sort of with @ericthefourth to be honest.

For one thing I don’t even associate Ed with ugly guitars like strats, he’s a Rickenbacker man in my view, particularly if you’re thinking of him being a guitarist like in the early days.

Infinite sustain could probably be added for way less to a cheap but very playable guitar and then you have your own sound/guitar.

It’s made in Mexico, as opposed to the Marr Jag which is made in America.

1 Like

You make a very good point there. Would have expected it to be around the £1200 range.

1 Like

the Johnny Marr Jaguar and Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster are both really popular models in their own right cos of their quality and features differentiating them from the standard models rather than the name on them and you see lots of people using them regardless of whether they’re fans or not. this one is the same, it’s more about the sustainer and different pickups than Ed’s name being on it.

yeah this one doesn’t even have his signature on the headstock like the Marr one

1 Like

Way cheaper than I’d expect. Not sure how much an Epiphobe Lesotho Paul is these days? That was always my ceiling on guitar expenditure.

Fully done

7 Likes

it’s been playing Strats for years m8

(this one had sustain pickups as well, i wonder how different it was to the new one)

even here:

lol no u are more irked than i

2 Likes

I mean i bought the same guitar as robert fripp, but would would i buy a robert fripp signature model? Hell naw.

people always talk about him not getting to play guitar anymore or not doing anything cos he mainly just does backing vocals in a couple of songs and tambourine in one song or whatever, i always think he’s got far more to do now than he used to. when they were using 3 guitars on every song it could be hard to pick him out, he’d often be playing whatever Yorke was playing or the most basic rhythm bits. nowadays he’s often the only guitarist and has really come to the fore imo. his textures all over AMSP are beautiful and some of his effects stuff like the end of Idioteque are brilliant. unless we’re coming from the “it’s not really playing guitar if it’s all pedals/doesn’t sound like a guitar” angle

Coz it’s penoid as fuck

u wot

what if Robert Fripp’s guitar had great pickups and features that the standard model didn’t have?

i don’t own any signature guitars but like i said upthread these days they’re not really “here, play the exact same guitar as the guy you like with his name on the headstock!” and more about them getting artists to collaborate on interesting new models. i love my Squier Jag but have seen a lot of people praise Marr’s model for ‘fixing’ the things they didn’t like about the Jag like the pickup selectors, rhythm circuit, bridge etc.

i’m with @xylo in that does just seem a bit @needlessly_defensive and teenage to just outright go “lol no, lame”

Thing is though is that it is massively lame.

1 Like

this one’s not even signed!

and the Mascis one is only signed on the back of the headstock

What’s amazing is I had “clinked” instead of ceiling and saw and corrected that.

Fucking phone.

Whose signature model ya got?

1 Like

yeah that’s the Tom De Longe one, though i’m sure i’ve seen others too. feels a bit limited to me though. should be cheaper if it’s that all there is to it, otherwise you’re paying through the nose for one tone essentially (even though the bridge with the tone near full is mainly what i use, it’s nice to have other options. i tend to roll the tone slightly off full on my Tele so it’s nice and trebly without being TOO tinny)

Not what I meant: few people will be new Ed in a band. If you’re starting a band like that you’re almost certainly beyond caring about signature editions IMO. You might buy for the infinite sustain but you might well buy another guitar for that.

To me if you’re being a guitarist in a band you’re probably into being in a band more like Bends days.

shrug